Sunday, December 03, 2006

Central Coast Half Marathon - 2:37 PB

I didn't hit my goal time, but this race was a beauty. I took 2m37s off my HM PB and I know I threw everything at it. I'm proud of the result because I know I worked bloody hard for it.

I didn't get the sleep I hoped for on Friday night (most books say the important night for a good night's sleep is two nights before a race) when some poor planning had us out in the city until the early hours of the morning. I didn't get to bed until 2:00AM, and as per usual I woke up with the sun at 5:30.

On Saturday we meandered up to my folks place at Copacabana to find that all of my siblings and their spouses (one brother, two sisters and two brothers in-law) had descended upon the place. When we got back from the CR dinner (at a very cool place called Fonzirelli's) with our pre-arranged guests (Mouse & Nite_Time_Runner) space was at a premium. We managed to snaffle beds (I guess the runners need for rest and DJs position as keeper of the next family member helped us in that regard, and we settled in at a reasonable hour.

Sleep was not forthcoming. It was blowing a howling gale outside and a combination of that and nerves about the race meant I got little to no sleep whatsoever, so I was a bit tired when we fronted up.

The queue for registration was enormous, and it was raining when we got there, so we froze as we waited, but eventually we got to the front of the queue as they ran out of numbers, so we had our numbers written on our arms.

Eventually Ian (Nite_Time_Runner) and myself found Becky O and Portrunr (the other members of team 1:50) and we started together and a very chilly wait at the start line.

The first 3K were slow as the thin course could not fit the massive numbers that had shown up, so there was a lot of ducking and weaving.

This settled down after the first drink station (I gave this a miss as I had hydrated well and the weather wasn't dehydrating) and we settled into 5:12 pace for the next few K. We lost Becky at about 5K.

Soon after cardio system was not coping too well, so I told the guys to push on and that I didn't have 1:50 in me today, and I slowed for the next 2K down to about 5:30.

I'd started to feel a bit better at this point, so I picked up the pace again and ran to the turnaround and 500m beyond it back at 5:12 pace.

At the turnaround I'd forgotten that the finish line is actually a fair way past the start line, and when the Garmin said 10.1 at the turnaround I began freaking about the course being massively short. I carried this concern for the next 8K before realising my folly.

After my second wind burst had run out I settled back into 5:20 pace, and managed to keep that up until 18K. Becky O had passed me with about 5K togo, and she looked incredibly strong. I later learned she ran a 12 minute PB - wow, Becky!

At 18K the wheels started to fall off. I just lost it. I felt weak, and after two small hilss (just about the only ones on the course) I took a couple of short walk breaks. Soon after I vomited, and I considered walking it in, but I knew I was still on track for a big PB, so I pushed on. The reality is that I ran the tough two Ks at 6:00, so given that I was coming off 5:20s, the walk breaks cost me about 80 seconds.

With one K to go, the lure of the finish line started to pull me in, and I was able to finish the last K in a much more reasonable 5:33. My finishing watch time was 1:52:33 - a 2m37s PB.

I was completely trashed. I'd neglected nipple care, so I had a bleeding nipple, I was barely coherent, but I was bloody happy. The finishing line was a party - a large gathering of Coolrunners, most of whom had shiny new half marathon PBs. Eventually I stumbled over to my usual over-indugent post big race breakfast where most people commented on how shocking I looked. I even frightened myself when I caught a glimpse in a mirror.

I had a ball today - it was everything I love about running in general and Coolrunning in particular - it's about challenging yourself and achieving your own goals in events where other people are doing the same. The word race doesn't really do it justice.

So where to from here?

I'll take it easy for the next six weeeks. I intend to eat what I want for the next few weeks - the dieting has been onerous, and I'm over it. I'll adopt a maintenance program of running four times a week and I'll start looking at goal races soon. I'm thinking I'll try to find a flat half marathon for another attempt at 1:50 in about March.

The Bub is due on April 24 (so we're currently calling the child "Digger"), so I'm anticipating a drop off in training around that point, but I'd like to have a serious crack at the SMH half, as I haven't done it for 3 years, and my course PB is about 2:09.

Th only event I've definitely decided to target is C2S. I've not targetted it for a few years - it's been a race I've done between target races. This year I'm chasing 75 minutes. I want that red bib in 2008, and I want to earn it the hard way.

11 Comments:

Blogger Ellie80 said...

good to see you again benny and good to see you snaffling another nice pb despite adversity!! I heard someone behind me having a nice loud vomit so you certainly aren't the only one - in fact I think it is a badge of honour! i like the sound of your plans too - not long till you get to meet digger now!! take care!

6:05 am  
Blogger Jen said...

Congrats Benny on your HUGE PB! You are one tough dude - enjoy your recovery; you certainly earned it again today!

And how amazing was the atmosphere at breakfast! I was struck (again) by just how amazing this community is!

7:04 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done Benny, that PB was well deserved as you've worked so hard for it.

8:07 am  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

I really enjoyed your post. It captures the day perfectly. I was thrilled to see you do the PB and I know you will get 1.50 as you desire. It was nice to meet Des but please apologise to her that we didn't actually get to chat more.

TA

9:52 am  
Blogger 2P said...

Wooooohoooo Benny congratulations on the big PB.

That monkey might not be entirely off your back - but the bugger is only hanging on by his finger nails.

Great stuff mate - well done!

4:17 pm  
Blogger Horrie said...

Great effort considering what you had to go through to get there Ben. We all know that sub 1:50 is not too far off.

9:30 pm  
Blogger PortRunr said...

Congratulations on the PB Benny. Great to run with you in the initial stages of the race. I'm sure you'll hit that 1:50 sometime soon. Look forward to catching you at another event in the future with your new baby in tow...
Enjoy your impending fatherhood :)

11:05 am  
Blogger Ewen said...

Great PB Benny. So close to sub 1:50 - I'm sure you'll get that next year. Maybe the SMH half?

Good luck with the red bib quest too - a great long-term goal for 2007.

8:14 pm  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

I've never seen anyone look quite so crook and so happy at the same time! Congratulations on a great preparation and a great run (and I really like the sound of that red-bib goal).

Gnome

12:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was great meeting you on Sunday. Congratulations on your PB. It sounds like a lot of blood, sweat and tears went into it so you deserve it.

8:36 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wishing you & family a very happy Christmas, Ben!

12:09 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home