Sunday, March 18, 2007

Running and Impending fatherhood

This thread is current again on Coolrunning, where adw was asking about how he could expect his training to be affected by the birth of his first child. I, of course, used the opportunity to tell the Coolrunning community that my boys were working as well - Argh, argh, argh - I am a man!!! (beats chest furiously).

The effect on my training is a real concern, to be honest. Running has become an integral part of my life over the last three years, and whilst I tell myself that I will cope with the inevitable changes to my training and that I know I won't be able to train to the same level that I have, I have to admit I'm not comfortable with scaling things back. This, of course, does not mean that I will let my training interfere with family - that priority is well and truly sorted.

That said, it's a minor concern. The way that my girls support me and my running I know that it will work itself out, and it certainly isn't all bad for running.

A few weeks ago we were out buying some of the stuff we need for Digger when I happened accross a running pram at over 50% off. I didn't ponder greatly over the decision, and we are now ready for action when Digger turns six months old (it's not safee to run with a baby until they are six months old). Now I just have to hope that Digger enjoys running with Dad.

The other night Digger was doing the strangest movements, and I was lucky enough to have my hand on DJ's stomach at the time. He/she wasn't kicking, it was more extended poking out of a limb for 10 - 20 seconds. It felt like the child was either trying to stretch or moon me. Either way, it's got to be taking after Dad.

There is one other thing I've noticed with a tenuous link to running re: impending fatherhood.

Last week I was reading this blog which had an entry about songs that make you cry.

In the last few years mine have been Paul Kelly's "How to Make Gravy" and Darren Hanlon's "Falling Aeroplanes" (it will forever make me think of DJ.)

But just lately...

Paul Kelly's "Deeper Water" has been come up on my random play MP3 player during runs. Now, I'm a soppy bastard at the best of times, but I do beleive that the effort of a long run makes you more susceptible to sentimentality, so I must look a sight bawling my eyes out as I run down the road listening to this lyric:

On a crowded beach in a distant time
At the height of summer see a boy of five
At the water's edge so nimble and free
Jumping over the ripples looking way out to sea

Now a man comes up from amoungst the throng
Takes the young boy's hand and his hand is strong
And the child feels safe, yeah the child feels brave
As he's carried in those arems up and over the waves

Deeper water, deeper water, deeper water, calling him on

Let's move forward now and the child's seventeen
With a girl in the back seat tugging at his jeans
And she knows what she wants, she guides with her hand
As a voice cries inside him - I'm a man, I'm a man!

Deeper water, deeper water, deeper water, calling him on

Now the man meets a woman unlike all the rest
He doesn't know it yet but he's out of his depth
And he thinks he can run, it's amatter of pride
But he keeps coming back like a cork on the tide

Well the years hurry by and the woman loves the man
Then one night in the dark she grabs hold of his hand
Says 'There, can you feel it kicking inside!'
And the man gets a shiver right up and down his spine

Deeper water, deeper water, deeper water, calling him on

So the clock moves around and the child is a joy
But Death doesn't care just who it destroys
Now the woamn gets sick, thins down to the bone
She says 'Where I'm going next, I'm going alone'

Deeper water, deeper water

On a distant beach lonely and wild
At a later time see a man and a child
And the man takes the child up into his arms
Takes her over the breakers
To where the water is calm

Deeper water, deeper water,
Deeper water, calling them on

5 Comments:

Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Paul Kelly speaks to us too.

Not long now till Digger arrives, so really enjoy those last few runs that are easy to get out for!

TA

10:24 am  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

I'm up to over two months without running. It's amazing what you can put up with if you need to :-)

I have to admit that I really like Deeper Water, but How to make Gravy is my favourite.

Gnome

11:11 pm  
Blogger Mouse_and_NTR said...

I don't know much about Paul Kelly's music but his archibald portrait by an artist called Peter Hudson was brilliant.

If you are anything like Ian it is like the Simpsons episode when Homer has not beer or TV, except its "no running make Ian grumpy".

It's better for both of you (and digger) from a mental health point of view for you both to have a healthy outlet!

See you both next week.
Mouse

8:06 am  
Blogger Jen said...

Both How to Make Gravy & Deeper Water both make me cry. I'm such a sook!

You will cope with the inevitable changes - can't wait to see you & Digger hurtling around races!

9:42 pm  
Blogger Ellie80 said...

loads of songs make me cry - hibernate by big heavy stuff is one. but often I think its about me, not the song and that i'd cry whatever I heard!!

happy to help out with any daughter distracting needed - just say the word :)

10:15 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home