Saturday, April 07, 2007

First Week

So I've been on the new program for just over a week now.

The first week was dominated by a 10K Time Trial last Sunday. I tried to reorganise myself so I could run the Coolrunning 5K Challenge twice, but it didn't quite fit with my program or family, so I missed it and dragged out the bike on Saturday for the first time in ages.

Just between you and me, I rode past a four bedroom house over in Silverwater that DJ and I think would be a lovely place to raise three (and maybe another) kids. The vendor has accepted our offer, so if it doesn't fall over we'll move in a month or so after Digger is born, which could be any day now. It's close to Em and Bop's school and1K away from the Homebush Bay Bike paths (my training nirvana). Now we just have to pay for it...

Anyway, this is a running blog, so I'll tell you about some running. The Time Trial on Sunday was a debacle. I was still sore from the ride on Saturday, and I went out too fast. I got to 7K and I was feeling quite unwell, so I pulled the pin. I sort of wish that I'd found a race. I don't like to DNF, and that's what this was - a big, fat DID NOT FINISH.

To rub it in, the start of the next week on the program was two easy runs to recover from the Time Trial. The first one I did as per the program on Tuesday morning, but on Wednesday night I hooked up with Marlz, and did 11K at about 6:00m/km pace, which was a little quicker than I'd intended.

On Friday I had a great session. Two five minute efforts, with 1 minute standing recovery. I did these at about 4:30 pace, which is bloody fast for me. THEN, I did 8 30 second hill efforts, with a jog back down to recover after each effort. It came a quite a relief when it started pissing down with rain during the second effort - I was getting very hot.

With warm up and warm down it was 10K. I was spent by the end of it. Great session.

I've been a little bit naughty with food this week. There has been a lot of chocolate around the place at work and at home, and I've been eating too much cheese as well. Luckily it hasn't resulted in extra kilos yet, but they can't be far away.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

So pleased to hear that your new program is going well. If it's any consolation you aren't the only one right now thinking some food 'naughtiness' is just about to catch up with them.

I'm off on holidays in about 10 days so just in case I don't drop by before then, congratulations in advance to you & your beautiful gal on the birth of Digger. My very best wishes to you & your expanding family.

Love
J xx

11:16 am  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Wow, a new baby and a mortgage all within weeks of each other. Anyone would think you are smitten Ben :-).

Hope to hear news of bub soon.

Love TA

Ps caught up briefly with Craig at Striders today and he asked after you. He finished 20secs ahead of me.

5:46 pm  
Blogger Sarah said...

I was wondering today if your little one had made an arrival yet .. hope it all goes smoothly for you. Good luck with the house too.

Sorry to hear your 10k didn't go as planned, but it sounds as though you made up for it later in the week.

I hear you on the chocolate!!

6:55 pm  
Blogger Mouse_and_NTR said...

Make sure you let us know when Digger arrives!! Was great to see you both last week and please give Des our wishes in the coming days :)

Mouse

9:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home