Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Enter Digger

I had a great long run on Easter Sunday: a nice easy 23K around Newington and Homebush Bay.

On Monday we picked Em and Bop up from their father, and went and did some supermarket shopping where we ran into one of DJ's friends. She had a nice long whinge about how this baby was never coming.

We were sitting around that evening after putting the girls to bed. At nine oo'clock DJ says to me: "Ahh, Darling; My waters just broke." Contractions started immediately, five minutes apart. In the thirty minutes it took DJs mum and her best friend to get to our place we got our stuff together and rang the hospital. With my mother-in-laws words "Remember - it's still double demerits" still ringing in my ears we (DJ and best friend Sharon) were on the way to hospital.

It was a nervous drive to the hospital as DJ's contractions got more intense, but we made it and at 10:00 we were put in a delivery suite.

Now, at this stage I'd like to say how great it was to have Sharon (a mother of two) in the room. Throughout the intense labour process Sharon knew what to say and how to help whilst I offerred moral support, back rubs, massages and love. The next hour was just the most intense experience. Watching the person you love most in the world go through a level of pain that you will never understand is an experience I will never forget.

At 10:52 Digger entered this world. I was aware of mistaking genitals in the excitement, but I knew exactly what I was looking at - Digger is most definitely a boy. His vital statistics are: 3.165Kg (a smidgin under 7lb) and 48cm. His name is John Keith.



Both mother and son are doing very well. Blood sugar appears to be good for both of them. We are hoping to have our family of five at home together tomorrow morning.



The twins are smitten. Normally they have the attention span of a goldfish, but when I took them in for a visit to the hospital they were transfixed for six hours. When I got them up for breakfast this morning all they could talk about is getting their mum and brother home so that we could just have the whole family together.



So, I suppose I better show him to you. Here's a a few photos of father and son (with one of mum's nose and arm.) Check out the hair!








10 Comments:

Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Oh Ben,he's gorgeous. There are so many special times ahead for you all. Our love and best wishes to Des and yourself and the girls.

Btw that was a pretty quick labour. Close to a Half Marathon PB if I'm not wrong !

TA

3:19 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

Brilliant news Ben!

Congrats all round, enjoy the moment, life will get more interesting now :)

3:41 pm  
Blogger Bernie G said...

Congrats Benny!

You look like a very proud dad. I hope you are taking good care of mum and bub.

6:02 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

thanks for the text...he's gorgeous! can't wait to meet him! I'm so rapt for you all and SO clucky.

7:50 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

Congratulations Benny! I'm so happy for you & your family :-)

10:04 pm  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

You had the twins at the hospital for six hours?? WOW....

Good on you both. Can't wait to see him :-)

Gnome

10:53 pm  
Blogger Sarah said...

oh wow! Nothing like a new born baby, all pink and squished and chubby!! Looks like he's got your hair!

Well done to you all.

I too am amazed you had the twins there for 6hrs! They ARE smitten!

Congratulations!

10:14 am  
Blogger Mouse_and_NTR said...

Great news Ben! He may be John Keith officially but he will always be Digger to us :)

He is gorgeous, just like his parents!

Mouse

1:41 pm  
Blogger plu said...

Great news. Congratulations to all of you.

Plu

8:20 pm  
Blogger Cirque said...

He is truly beautiful Ben. Huge congratulations to you and your family.

8:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home