Friday, July 06, 2007

A Really Good Holiday

"So, Ben. How did your race go?"


"Well, I had a reaaly good holiday."


And it was. Except for one hour, fifty three minutes and twenty six seconds on Sunday morning.


The trip up started ominously. We left early and the kids slept until breakfast at Hexham (yes, Gnome - it is a Hungry Jacks, but they still serve Oak thickshakes!). Then we let them turn on the DVD player. Broken. Couldn't get it going.


From that point the girls reinforced what a lucky man I am to have such a wonderful family. The twins were fantastic. Instead of hearing "are we there yet?" all trip, Em had to deal with "Em, how's your brother?" all the way up to Queensland (and back). And there was minimal arguing and fighting despite the fact that we had the twins sitting next to each other.


The race was disappointing. We were running a bit late, and then nature called before the race, so I spent half an hour in a toilet queue. Luckily Ellie pointed me to some toilets with a shorter queue, but I still only got to the start right at the back of the field.


So after I passed the start line it was all ducking and weaving for the first 2K, and I was 90 seconds behind 5:12min/k pace (1:50HM) at 2K. From that point I got a slight stitch, and the way I was travelling I knew not to push it. I found it really difficult to crack 5:20 pace for the rest of the race. Eventually I crossed the line in 1:53:26 (nett time) and promptly tripped over my own feet, almost causing a pile up at the finish line.


The twins had a similar race - it was their first time in a big squashed start and it freaked them out a bit. Bop had caught the cold that has been going around, and she struggled home just behind Em. That said they seem to have enjoyed it, so I'm hoping we will continue to run together..

The rest of the day was spent kicking back with the awesome cheer squad both in the cheersquad and at drinks. Those festivities and the atmosphere is the reason why this was my fourth consecutive Gold Coast trip.


Dreamworld on Monday was a blast. The perfect way to end a great holiday.

I'll update you on how everything else is going when I can find a further fifteen minutes to do so - I'm a wee bit busy at the moment.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cirque said...

Please tell the girls they were AWESOME cheerers and we definitely need them back next year!

7:31 pm  
Blogger Sarah said...

Sorry to hear you didn't have such a great race ... I'm totally dissapointed I wasn't around to meet you after - had to get back to check out of our accommodation.

Glad to hear the broken dvd player wasn't a total disaster!

7:10 pm  
Blogger Ewen said...

It was great to see you up there Benny. I agree the start was a bit hectic - probably not the ideal PB course unless you're up the front.

All the best for the rest of your C2S preparation. See you there!

9:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home