Friday, August 10, 2007

Five minute Ks

OK, so I've figured out my tactics for Sunday.

Five minute Ks.

I figure I'll take a minute or two to get over the start line, and I'll
lose two minutes on the hills, so if I try to run at about five minutes
per kilometre I should be OK to come in at 75 minutes for the 14K.

The worry is whether being at the front of the A2 pack will mean that I
get pushed out at a pace I can't sustain for the first K, and a 4:30
first K would come back to bite me in the second half of the race.

Anyway, such concerns are trifling. The important thing is that I've
managed to get through to taper week without catching the viruses that
have afflicted my workmates and family, and I'm feeling in top form for
Sunday.

The twins have been much better this week after having colds last week.
On Monday they had their athletics carnival, and Bop excelled, winning
the 800m and high jump, 2nd in the long jump and 3rd in the 200m. Em
also did very well, coming 2nd in the high jump and 4th in the long
jump. I suspect this means that I'll be off to another Zone carnival in
the near future.

They were lucky enough to have the carnival at the athletic stadium at
the Olympic Park. How cool is that?

5 Comments:

Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

If you're at the front of A2 then it won't take 2 minutes to get across the line, and if you're further back then you won't get pushed. Either way you can't loose! :-)

Hope I can find you on Sunday morning. I've never managed to find anyone in the pack at a C2S previously, so this time I'll have to look harder.

Gnome

9:26 pm  
Blogger Gronk said...

Best of luck Sunday Benny !

9:31 pm  
Blogger Ewen said...

Very cool Benny. The twins have some talent.

Just try and ease up on the accelerator until after Kings Cross. Just let people go past. Good luck. I'm sure you'll go sub-75.

9:53 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

Looking forward to seeing you on Sunday Benny. You've been training & racing so well lately that I'm sure you'll achieve your goal! Good luck !

10:51 pm  
Blogger Mouse_and_NTR said...

hey good luck tomorrow ben! You can do it - you know you've done the training, you have the tactics, and the goodwill of the nation!! If it starts getting tough - then "pull yourself together man"! ;-) You can do it!

Unlike other races, don't even try to say hi to the other runners....60,000+ wishes of "have a good run" means you will be exhausted before you start.

Hope little JR is feeling better....

12:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home