Friday, August 31, 2007

I Got a Plan

So let's look at the situation:

The Fitzroy Falls Fire Trail Marathon is in six weeks. The Sydney Half is in three weeks.

I'm not in marathon shape. I'm in half marathon shape, but I haven't run longer than 25K since 2004 (as far as I can remember). What the hell was I thinking?

The answer is that I know I'm OK on ridiculous hills when I've done them before and I am attempting to do no more than to beat the sweeper home. 5:29 - no faster.

So. Time for a plan.

I'm currently doing two speedwork sessions a week. One will be replaced with a midweek long run, which I will do with Marlz at about 5:30 pace. We will get this up to 13-15K.

We will still do strength session a week. This we will alternate between hillwork and speedwork.

One easy run a week. Currently it's 6-8K. It can start ramping up to 10 or 11.

The long runs are key. If I follow the 10% rule I'll get them up to 25K - Not good enough, but if we go out and do 33K this weekend we are both likely to end up injured - no good either. So here's the plan:

1/9 - 25K
9/9 - 3 hour bush bash @ Central Coast
16/9 - 16K (taper)
23/9 - Sydney Half
30/9 - 28K
7/10 - 16K
13/10 - FFFTM

All feedback/ridiculing/constructive criticism welcome.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gronk said...

Hi Benny, as you know I have generally NFI but your base does look a tad skinny. Hey, you're not shooting for a sub 4h on the road, so maybe a 5:30 on soft trail is doable huh ?

12:18 pm  
Blogger Tesso said...

If you are concerned about your lack of long runs you could skip the taper before the Sydney Half. Sure, it will probably mean you run a slower half. I guess it all depends on your priorities.

Otherwise, what about a slow couple of kms warmup and warmdown on the day of the half. It all adds up!

2:04 pm  
Blogger Mouse_and_NTR said...

I dont think i am qualified to give advice, but as i feel partly responsible for the anxious feeling youv'e got, i give some anyway! i'd say dont taper the week before the sydney half - insteasd - build on the long run from the week before with a SLOW long run, and wind down the runs during the week to allow you to recover. Happy to run on that weekend with you guys too. ohh - and drink less kalhua the night before runs.

9:04 pm  
Blogger Ewen said...

In FF, have a 'walking break' plan and stick to it from the start. For example, run 20, walk 5.

Practise walking fast on uphills! This will be hugely important when you run 6'.

One injury preventing training idea is to run 25k or whatever and immediately follow it with a 10k brisk walk.

10:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home