Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Not my day

The day started perfectly - we were out the door on time, I was dropped at Town Hall with my entire family blowing me kisses and sending me love, and I lined up at the start a few metres from the start of the A2 group 90 minutes before that start.

After a quick trip around unsuccessfully searching for a drink I came back to the start to find sfGnome and a Coolrunning Lurker whose name escapes me. Later we were joined by Belinda, and that provided excellent company for the wait until the start.

It was a delicate balance, preparing for the start. It was obviously going to be quite hot, so I needed fluids; there was also the 90 minute wait for the start, so I needed to make sure that I didn't lose my place at the front of the pack by needing to urinate. In retrospect I probably didn't drink enough.

Eventually the hooter went for our start. The A2 start is set back a fair distance from the start line, and so it took me 40 seconds to pass the start, but after that I was able to settle into my own pace quite quickly.

This meant that I churned out the first 2K at a little short of 5 minutes. I was feeling OK, but not great. The first hill tested me, and I slowed a fair bit. From 3 through to 5K I consolidated, and then I hit Heartbreak Hill.

By the time I hit the top of HBH I had run the last 2K in 11 minutes, but there was no petrol left in the tank. At halfway (which is roughly at the top of HBH) I was on 37 minutes - so I was right on pace, but at that point I pretty much knew I was done for. I took a 15 second walk break to catch my breath, but I didn't have any more 5 minute Ks left. I jogged the rest of the course as best I could in about 6 minute Ks. Eventually I stopped my watch at 77:41 (the official time was 78:00).

So what went wrong?

I probably got my fluid intake wrong, and was dehydrated by the middle of the race. This was an easy mistake to make - my bladder was reasonably full at the end of the race, so that was always going to be a tough one to get around.

I have been eating indiscriminately over the past 3 weeks, and I'm probably 2Kg heavier than I should have been for this race. I can't explain why this lapse took place - I just know it did.

The other thing was that I didn't eat dinner the night before the race. It's something I very rarely do, but we had a huge lunch of rich restaurant food on Saturday, so I guess the nutrition for the race could have been upset by this.

I have to say this is probably the most disappointed I have ever been after a race. I'm not usually given to post race disappointment - I learn my lessons and I move onwards and upwards, quickly setting my sights on the next race. I guess the fact is that I have no target race now, and it will be a year before I get another crack at the C2S, so I'm a dog without a bone.

In eleven weeks DJ goes back to work. When she goes back I will be working part time for the following 5 months. Initially I will be working 2 days a week and looking after the kids for the other 3 days. I've got no idea how my training will fit into this lifestyle. It won't be my highest priority, but I might find that I'm able to fit more in - we will have to see how it pans out.

Part of the problem of picking the next race is that I'd love to have a go at the Black Stump run on New Year's, but I'm not sure I can justify the investment of time required to get myself ready for it.

So the next few weeks I will just try to sort out some priorities and work out what my next serious race will be. I'll let you know when I do.

3 Comments:

Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Geez Benny, you ran a whole 6 seconds per km slower than your pb! It took me longer than that to type that sentence. Don't be too hard on yourself. There's always next year, and plenty of other races besides.

Speaking of other races, if you want a *real* heartbreak hill, then the Black Stump run is the one for you. The cliff near the end is unbelievable (and well worth doing) :-)

Gnome

10:42 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

Don't be hard on yourself Benny. The one thing that you can say for certain about the C2S is that there is *always* next year. You've learnt your lessons for this years race - apply them next year and that PB will be yours.

Black Stump is a sensational run Benny & well worth doing.

6:50 am  
Blogger Ewen said...

It's a very had race to get right Benny - both in preparation and on the day.

It was pretty warm out there. Looks like your early pace was a bit quick. My tip for next year would be to leave lining up until 45 minutes prior to the start and just squeeze in as close as you can to the front.

How about the Bridge Run 9k for a next race? Black Stump has lots of walking, so that would be doable without overly long training runs.

7:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home