Saturday, September 01, 2007

Back Where I Started

Thanks to all those who have offerred advice - all of it has been taken on board, even the advice from he purports to have NFI. Any further advice will be warmly accepted.

As a result of that advice I ran longer than originally planned today and covered 27K in 2:50, working in some extra hills. It was a real confidence booster, I felt good at the end of it, and went for a a walk for an hour with DJ & JK.

Now, here is today's story.

When I was 16 I sustained a bruised brain. It left me with impaired strength and coordination down the left hand side of my body. To this day I still sweat more on the left hand side and I still have some residual numbness. I needed speech therapy and occupational therapy.

It was probably this injury that triggered my epilepsy. I was 72 kilograms when this happenend, but as a result of not doing much exercise because of my diminished sporting ability and the anti-convulsant drugs I was now on I started to blow out.

I was on Epilim for 7 years. It's a bastard of a drug. It makes you as alert as you'd be if you had drunk a bottle of scotch a day, and has about the same effect on your liver.

I blew out to 94Kg at my fattest.

So after my run today, I jumped on the scales. Now, I know it's wrong to weigh yourself after a run - you are dehydrated. I did take on at least a litre of fluid during the run, but I sweated more, so it's still wrong.

But that scale said 72.0.

It's taken 19 years, but I'm back where I started.

And I'm stoked.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mouse_and_NTR said...

awesome - Once again this year has proven to be full of the most positive events, people and occassions for you Ben. Make sure keep Des happy - she is good luck for you!!

10:15 pm  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Geez! Look what happens when I'm away from blogs for a few days. What a fantastic set of posts. Ewen's right. Make a plan, stick to it and 5:29 will be fine, regardless of the 'skinniness' of the long runs.

Just to confuse things, I think I'll disagree with the rest of your devoted public and suggest that you keep the taper before the half simply because I believe in giving your body a rest every 4 weeks or so.

See you at the half!

Gnome

11:03 pm  
Blogger Cirque said...

Well done. You deserve to be stoked!

7:49 am  
Blogger Ewen said...

Way to go Benny! Back where you started is a great place to be, and 72 is the perfect weight for racing.

10:00 am  
Blogger Simlin said...

I choose to take post run weigh-ins as my true weight too... :)

1:38 pm  
Blogger Tesso said...

I think everyone does the post run weigh-in thing - the excuse is to see how much fluid you lost but still its always a buzz if you are trying to drop kilos :-)

That's a great long run you did, and to back it up with an hour long walk was very wise indeed, time on the feet is so very important. I was advised to do similar things by a top marathoner/ultra runner.

8:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home