Thursday, June 02, 2005

Intervals and Employment

Run: 8*400m efforts, 200m jog intervals. Hard, real hard.

I went out mid morning for intervals at the cricket oval. 800m warm up jog, and then into it. I'm told it's 400m around, and by the session that's about right. The efforts were about:

1:50
1:46
1:44
1:45
1:43
1:46
1:43
1:40

I had intended to do two more, but by the end of number eight I was about ready to throw up and decided to wuss it on the last two. I did a feeble 800m cooldown jog and showered, stretched and iced.

I had some more positive feedback about the job this morning, and I started to get nervous about it. About twenty minutes ago I was offered and accepted the job! I start on Monday.

It is a great job - it will be valuable experience for me as well as being a good match for my skills. I'm utterly stoked.

It will present problems. The job is in Milperra, about a 75 minute drive from home, and the hours are long. This is going to make training difficult. I didn't have many problems with training during the temping, but I think the day will be 90 minutes longer at this job. I'm planning to spend one night a week at my sister's place, as she lives a 25 minute drive away from work, and that will allow me to swim after work and run before work on that day. I'll get the training in, I just have to be pig-headed about it.

So I'm pretty bloody happy tonight. Just to share the joy, here are the lyrics to my favourite happy song. It's by The Lucksmiths. Best sung at ther top of your voice in the car whilst stopped at the lights. That way the guy in the car next to you gets a smile as well (it's happenened a few times). It's also good on the MP3 during a long run.

T-Shirt Weather
(Monnone)

Hey Mike, you busy?
All this sunshine’s making me dizzy
Went outside, all my clothes dried
And if I’m babbling, please forgive me
But it’s the first hint of sunshine
For a week or so, I’d say
And I’m keeping well, I’m in good health
But I sneeze when I look into the sun today

There’s my bike looking dusty
The spokes are broken and rusty
But I’m happy to walk
I’m happy with anything today
‘Cause I’m out in the sunshine
While my friend’s at home asleep
I guess that’s just the downside
To the money he makes and the hours he keeps

And I say hey, it’s a beautiful day
And I’m starting to feel a lot better
So wake up, wake up
It’s T-shirt weather

Ba-ba-ba how could things be better?
This afternoon in the pub I met her
Maggie May on the juke-box
Hey, things are okay
“Just two things” she tells me,
“If you want to keep things friendly –
no beer for me, no peanuts, and I’ll be happy…
oh, and no football, well I guess that makes three”

It’s a beautiful day
And I’m starting to feel a lot better
So wake up, wake up
It’s T-shirt weather
It’s T-shirt weather

2 Comments:

Blogger Carolyne said...

You're Stoked, I'm Stoked!

Way to go, Ben!
I hope that it all works out ~ not long until Monday. Suss out the options for running from work. during a break, before or after. A few times I've had workplaces where it was the norm to eat breakfast at work with people rowing, cycling, soccer training etc before hand.

Hopefully the night you stay at your sister will provide an opportunity. Sorry for the dogs though!

Allow 'head space' time for yourself too - don't get too caught up in 'needing' to train. Enjoy the journey.

I feel like celebrating. I'd better put a T-shirt on!

Cheers

9:21 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

Ben, that is excellent - congratulations on the new job. I'm very happy for you ! J

5:22 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home