Sunday, May 29, 2005

This is why I run

Run: 20K in 1:53:33. Sluggish at start, comfortable in the middle, pushed it at the end.

It was cold (0.7 degrees) when I was walking the dogs this morning, so I took my time stretching and getting ready, but it was still only 6.1 by the time I got out and started. I had 20K planned, so the course was twice around the tri club 10K loop. As expected, I felt sluggish at first, while I was warming up. I passed the start line where the tri club were running a duathlon, and got a small cheer from the assembled starters. They were to all pass me several times, allowing for mutual encouragement.

I was joined by another tri club member for a few K's. Greg was out for a leisurely 5K, and we chatted for a while before he turned around. I did the first 5K in about 27 minutes, and was well and truly warmed up.

The firt 5K is flat, the last 5K is hilly. By the second 5K I felt comfortable, and I coasted through the hills and hit the 10K mark in about 57 minutes. I still felt good, and I coasted through the next 5K, but I think I slowed a bit (not pushing myself enough), and I didn't really catch the 15K split, but having done the whole run with my heartrate in the high 140s to low 150s and feeling comfortable, I couldn't resist pushing it a bit in the last 5K. The heartrate went up, and the breathing was a bit laboured, but I still felt good. I finished the run in 1:53:33.

This really gives me a buzz. This run was done at 2 hour half-marathon pace, and it was comfortable. To put it in perspective, had I run a half-marathon at this pace, it would be a seven minute PB. I'm amazed at how much my running has improved in the last few months, and I can't wait for the Gold Coast to really smash another PB. I reckon 1:50 is definitely possible.

It was an awesome run on a beautiful autumn morning. I'm now buzzing on endorphins and the knowledge that I'm getting quicker, and I'm not feeling like I've just had a hard session.

Oh, and I slept for six hours last night without chemical assistance!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

awesome Ben!

3:53 pm  
Blogger Horrie said...

Way to go Ben. You are running hot at the moment. Good to see you going from strength to strength. Good luck in the countdown to Gold Coast.

7:27 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow! Looking great for the Gold Coast, Ben! Thrilled top see yoou report that your running has improved so much over the last few months...I know why! You're worried that Chickybabe will pass you at the GC!!

7:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home