Sunday, September 09, 2007

Risky Bush Bashing on the APEC long Weekend

Today was the longest training run in terms of time that I have ever undertaken.

The intention for the whole week was that I would run long through Bouddi National Park on the Central Coast this Sunday, but when I woke up and it was pissing down I promptly rolled over and started planning non bush runs when the weather ot less inclement.

This happened about midday, so DJ took the irls shopping and I stepped out intending to just run around Copacabana - the track was probably going to be too slippery after all on the rain.

But I'm naughty, so I just ran down the road from my folks place to the beach and started this run. With the extra distance from my folks place (about a mile) the run was significant. It was too slippery to take the downhills quick, and I need to walk the uphills on this one, so I hit the turnaround (11K) in 1:45.

There's a certain irony in getting all of the slippery bush tracks riht only to miss a turn off on the road on the way back that meant I was at MacMasters SLSC after 3:20 with it pissing down and my motivation gone. I phoned in for a pick up at that point, but after 15 minutes DJ was having difficulties navigating there, so I ran the extra kilometre along the beach back to Copacabana.

I've never run longer then 3 hours in training before, so this was a first. When I got back there was Coke in the fridge, and I drank it. I don't usually, but I needed recovery quick - I was wasted. It hit the spot nicely.

I've decided I will taper for the half. Like Gnome I subscribe to the one easy week in four theory, and I suspect that that is especially important whislt I flagrantly flout the 10% rule.

So the coming week will be pretty stock standard, but the long run next Sunday will be knocked back to 16K.

Tomorrow is a rest day. Hip hip hooray.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mouse_and_NTR said...

I am switching over to gnomes advice now!~! You deserve a taper after doing a run described like this ( from CR )...
"This is a very challenging run. I have heard one person describe two laps of this run as being far more difficult than the 45km Six Foot Track Marathon. "

Question: since you were surrounded by Bush, how did you get through all the checkpoints? Ahhh - you said you were canadian....

Run long and taper!

2:52 pm  
Blogger Ewen said...

Congrats on running 3 hours by mistake Benny. Flouting the 10% rule will get you fit.

Have a good taper. I'll be there for the Bridge Run, so I'll look out for you either before or after.

8:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home