Saturday, January 12, 2008

Black Stump Recovery

The body is a strange and wonderful thing.

I think I looked after myself particularly well during the Black Stump run - I hydrated well, my pre race nutrition was well planned and executed and my race strategy was a winner. Post race I was straight into the appropriate recovery foods and as a result the day after I felt like a million bucks.

Unfortunately my resumption of training, whilst well planned, was poorly executed, and as a result I think I'm still feeling it.

Warning: poo story in next paragraph

My initial plan was to adopt Pat Carroll's post race strategy of no fast running for a week. On my first training run back this was made impossible by an ill timed visit from the poo fairy. I knew I needed to go about 2K away from the next public toilet, and this turned the session into a form of speedwork that I'll call poolek - you go increasingly faster as the urgency grows, and I did the final 500m at 3K race pace.

The run after this was a run at Sook 54's excellent twilight race. I had John in the pram. I planned to do 10K very easy, but John went feral at 3.5K, so Marlz and I stopped, gave him a bottle and jogged back from there. Even at the reduced pace, pushing the pram on a windy night trashed my legs badly.

Since then I've taken it very easy, but my legs still feel heavy. Tomorrow the plan is 21K, which is still 10K shorter than where my standard long run is, but I hope to get back up to 30 the following week.

The next two weeks are going to be hard to plan - obviously most of my focus will be on the wedding. Things are coming along well in that regard - it's going to be a very relaxed and casual celebration.

After the wedding, we get serious and put a plan together for the Canberra sub four quest.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ewen said...

It'll be good to cross that wedding off the list so you can give full concentration to the Canberra campaign ;)

4:08 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

hehe the poo fairy! I remember him well. He's not bothered me since I haven't been running. I never thought I'd miss him.

11:54 am  
Blogger Jen said...

The word 'fartlek' doesn't make me laugh anymore but 'poolek' - hehehehe :-)

2:29 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Enjoy the wedding, Ben! See yoou in good form in Canberra.

10:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home