Thursday, January 20, 2005

Treadmill speedwork

I missed my swim session this morning. I gave some thought to doing it on tomorrow's rest day, but I reckon the rest might be wise.

I have decided to do all of my intervals on the treadmill until I get some lasting improvement in my knee, after a discussion with CR Sarge on Sunday. Sarge suggested that running laps on an oval in one direction may be exacerbating the ITB problems. I could change directions, but I reckon the treadmill may be even safer. I'm alternating tempo sessions with 400m intervals every week. Today was intervals.

My aim was 6 400m efforts with 200m jogging rests. I did the first five at 12.5kph with rests at 8kph. I felt that I was probably going a bit soft at this stage, so I did the last one at 13kph. That nudged the HR up to 170. I'm thinking I'll do my next intervals at 12.8. The knee felt pretty good throughout.


Warning: the following is a request for feedback. Feel free to skip it if you want to!

My next pure running goal is to better my 10K PB (57:00). I feel 52:00 is a fairer reflection of my current capabilities.

I'm working within the physiotherapist defined constraints of running no further than 5K (slowly increasing) and not running on consecutive days, therby restricting me to three runs a week. I will cut back on swimming and cycling after Jan 30, when I race my first triathlon.

At the moment I have the three runs structured in this way:
- two 5K runs at 10kph (my physio has told me to use this as a minimum training pace, as it is difficult to maintain good form below this pace, and I am therefore less likely to get ITB hassles at this faster pace)
- one speedwork session. The speedwork session is alternating between an interval session as described above and a tempo session, which I might do on the treadmill to regulate the speed as I died in the arse after 3K last time.

The three sessions I have constructed around Higdon (if you couldn't tell). I would really appreciate any feedback from anyone on the way I am using my three available runs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home