Sunday, January 16, 2005

SMC 5K

I had a hell of a night last night. Didn't get home until after 1:00AM (visiting my sister in Sydenham) and the dogs had escaped. We found them and put them back in the yard, and they escaped again.

We rounded them up and tied them up, and it was 2:00 by the time I got to bed. I had a bout of insomnia and got up without sleeping at 6:00AM for the drive to Smithfield for my first SMC.

This series is great. Small fields, drink stations, a relatively flat course (the fraction of it that I ran anyway), so I'm sure I'll be back.

So to the race. 23 degrees and 91% humidity, so conditoins weren't great. Since my last attempt to stay on 5:00 pace on my last run blew up, I figured 26:00 would be good, but I'm no good at pacing myself. I went out pretty hard and by the time I reached the 2.5K turnaround the watch read 12:30. At this point I thought "Bugger it, I may as well keep going at this pace", even though I was struggling a little bit. I kept going and although I didn't feel crash hot over the last K, I finished in 25:10. I don't reckon I had much left in the tank and I'm very happy with that result.

Coolrunners aplenty. I had a yak with Horrie and Sarge, but I didn't introduce myself to anyone. I'll do that at mini-golf tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Horrie said...

That's a huge effort Ben. Especially considering you did it with no sleep. I hope your ITB keeps improving and you can continue to make improvements in your running.

2:30 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

What naughty doggies you have, Ben!
But to do so well this morning after such a night...well done! Onwards & upwards from here! LL

4:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home