Wednesday, May 18, 2005

It's All Good

AM: Run, Intervals, 10x500m with 250m jog intervals.
PM: Ride, 15K in 40 min.
PM: Ride, RPM Class, 45 minutes

Started the day with an interval session at the Regatta Centre. Did the first one at 2:13, but I got quicker with each one, and I did the last one in 2:05. This is much quicker than I have done intervals at Penrith before (I think I averaged 2:18 last time), and it was a ballbreaker of a session. The HR hit 186 at the end, and I've never been that high.

By the time I wanted to go out for my afternoon ride it was pissing down rain. It cleared up eventually, but I only had enough daylight for a measly 15K, so I booked in at the gym for a RPM class, which is a stationary bike class. It was tough; 45 minutes of hard core pedalling.

Today was a good day on all fronts. After the intervals I had a physio session. The physio is happy enough with things to stop regular appointments. It's taken seven months to get to this stage, and I'm very happy about it. The critical thing now is to continue the stretching and icing.

After the physio, I saw the doctor, who halved my antidepressant dosage, and is also happy with my progress. There is still a bit of concern about the recurrent insomnia, but the change in medication may actually help in this regard.

Finally, I got a call from the agency - I got the job. Despite the disappointment over the nature of the job, it's still five weeks' work and I need it. I start on Monday.

This does present a problem. The drive to work is about 75 minutes. The hours are 8 to 5. There is no way I can sustain 8 sessions a weeks with this sort of workload. My plan at this stage is to do 5-6 sessions a week: 1 swim, 1 ride and 3-4 runs. I don't think I'll be able to do any excercise before work - I need to leave at 6:45AM as it is anyway, so it'll all be after work. Welcome to the real world, Ben.

So there it is. Employed, getting faster, loose ITB and depression under control. And with the endorphins from the RPM class still pumping, right now it's all good.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

*hugs* That's great news Ben...all of it! I'm so happy for you. Now you have 5 weeks to practice fitting work into your real life LOL.

Seriously though, you have recognised that there will be some costs to your training because of working and commuting. All these changes can also have an impact on mental health (particularly if you aren't sleeping well). Take very great care of yourself my friend. Realise it will take a while to adjust and don't take on too much too soon.

*steps carefully down off the soap box* sorry! Occupational hazard! Better get back to pom pom making now!
*In Jerry Springer style* "Run Benny, run Benny, run Benny"

7:54 am  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Ben, That's great. It's nice to have things come together sometimes. As for training, maybe you can do a run at lunchtime while working. Just be careful not to get to worn and remember your wife will like to see you.

10:46 am  
Blogger Carolyne said...

I'm so happy for you Ben! Think of the run as a stress reliever, and try to fit that in, whatever time, whatever distance, whatever pace, it will do you the most good in every way, even if you only manage 20 minutes easy here and there.

I hope that Lorna is making a set of Pom Poms for me too!

Goooooo, Benny!

6:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home