Saturday, June 04, 2005

Longest Ride Ever

Bike, 70K in 2:38, Ave Speed 26.3

I turned up at 7:30 for the club ride this morning along with three others. We discovered that evryone else had got the message that we were starting at 8:30 from now on. We decided to do two loops of the tri club 10K loop to get us to 8:30.

It was 3° at Richmond this morning, and it's about 2° cooler down on the lowlands that start our ride. With wind chill it was bloody horrible, but we did our 20K, and the others were assembled at the end of our second lap and it was straight into the standard 50K loop. I was really glad that a couple of the guys got flats during the ride, I needed a couple of breaks.

One of the girls was struggling a bit in the latter stages of the ride. She is having some health issues, so I hung back a bit just to make sure she was OK, and this was probably a good thing for me as well, as I probably would have blown up badly had I pushed myself.

Given that today was my longest ever ride and I am now gainfully employed, I treated myself to a huge breakfast at the cafe after the ride.

Fiona has been suffering from a cough all week that is still really knocking her around. While I was watching the Rabbitohs honourably draw with the Bulldogs tonight I started to cough. Hopefully I'm not in for a week of it, but I'll see how I feel before I take off on the long run tomorrow. A soft week at this stage wouldn't be a bad thing for the half, so I won't push it if I'm not right. I've said that before, and I rarely do take it easy - but at least I know what I should do.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carolyne said...

You're amazing Ben!

I just don't have the ticker to go for a cold morning ride, and to average such a good pace is awesome.

Take care of the (head) cold though, not worth getting even a little under the weather now for the sake of a long run.

5:15 am  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

That's cool doing 70k and I'm glad you could reward yourself with breakky! TA

6:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home