Wednesday, November 16, 2005

We fall into old habits

Mon AM: 7 * 1K Intervals - A great speedwork session.
Tue PM: Swim Squad. 1.8K - Hard slog.

I dread intervals. I really don't want to do them beforehand, but they are good for mental toughness and leg speed. I decided that I did not feel bad enough to justify a soft session on Monday, so I headed out for 7 efforts on thr River Walk.

The normal story: Felt OK for the first few, felt like a bear had jumped on my back towards the end of the fifth effort, felt like he came back with his mate on the sixth effort and on the seventh they had brought their beer fridge, and were having a mosh.

The splits were:

4:37
4:35
4:34
4:34
4:35
4:40
4:41

Holy consistency, Batman! I have to admit, I'm really chuffed with how bloody close together they are.

Tuesday night saw me at the Revesby pool in nipple hardening, doodle shrinking cold weather (but it's nice once you get in).

12 * 50m @ 1:20
500 - 100 FS, 100 3/4 Catch Up, 100 Back, 100FS, 100 3/4 Catch Up
6 * 50 @ 1:10
300 pull bouy
3 * 100 @ 2:10 (was supposed to be 4, but my lungs had enough after 3)
100m cool down.

The 2:10 100s stuffed me right up.

I realised something this week:

For the last few months I have swam on Tuesday nights & run on Wednesday morning because that is what I had been doing before. My program was constructed in this way so that I could fit 2 sessions into one night away from home and therefore maximise time with Fiona.

That isn't an issue anymore, so I am leaving my Wednesday run until tonight. I had planned to do this at the athletic track at Homebush Bay, but the area may be overrun with Soccer hooligans tonight, so I will figure out a plan of attack when I get home.

4 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

Wow those are excellent split times Benny.

There is also a grass athletics Track behind Concord High School - It is used for Little A's early in the evening on Wednesdays but I think it is clear a little later.

2:21 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"nipple hardening, doodle shrinking"

Very funny.

wt

4:45 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

I hope your pieces have regained their former, um, size :-)

Those splits are fantastic Benny. Well done.

J

PS Thanks for your comment on my blog - though there is no need to feel like a turd. Unfortunately I just drew the "cortisone is really going to stuff you up" card :-)

5:47 pm  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Cool splits. Those bears can't party hard enough to stop the Ben-man! :-)

sfG

11:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home