Saturday, October 29, 2005

Should not be given keys under any circumstances

Sat AM:
5K Coolrunning Challenge - 23:41. 4 second PB
5K slow jog back to start line.
13.3K cycle to the bay in 34 minutes. A nice hilly little ride.

I'm going to departr from my usual style of exercise first, rambling later. Today's post is suited to chronology.

Last night was a total and utter cock up. It started when I got back to the flat to find that the foyer had been cemented but had not dried. This foyer provides the only access to the flat.

I considered my options. All of my siblings and parents were on holidays or overseas for other reasons, so I considered visiting other relatives but in the end I walked around for a couple of hours and waited for it to be dry enough to walk on. This took about 3 hours.

I got into the flat and realised I'd left my antibiotics at work, so I grabbed the repeat and just managed to get to the Ermington chemist before they closed and got home to realise that I'd locked the keys in the flat.

This left me in a pickle. All of my siblings have keys, but as I'd mentioned they were all away.

Suddenly I realised there was hope - my Windsor keys were in my pocket, attached to which is a key to my sister's place. I rang her on the off chance that she had her phone on in Fiji and she did! Unfortunately she couldn't remember which keyring the key was on, so I had to go to her place and pick up about 5 sets of keys to try in the lock.

When I got back I was just starting to try keys in the door when the neighbour popped his head around the door to tell me I shouldn't be walking on the foyer floor yet.

Now, I hadn't met him before. I was trying a large number of keys in the door. It must have looked suspect, but he didn't seem suspiciuous. When I explained that I didn't have rear access he realised I had no choice but to walk on the floor and he went back into his flat.

So eventually I was home, with antibiotics and very tired.

Up not too early for the now local Coolrunning Bay run challenge. The field was much larger than the post-drinks shambles last month. I took off with the 24 minute group, and settle into a too quick pace. I went through 1K in 4:34. I hoped I might be3 able to hold on to this, so I kept going at this pace and went through 2K in 4:35.

I was struggling at this stage, and slowed to 4:46 for the 3rd. I noticed that the Garmin was measuring short k's, but I'm not measuring the splits myself - hell, that's one of the reasons I've got it.

I knew I couldn't pick it up or I'd blow, so I did the 4th in 4:48. managed to kick a bit in the end and managed the last in 4:38, with an extra 18 seconds to make up for Garmin shortage.

I felt pretty rough at the end, but I managed to be a bit social, and jogged back with sfGnome, with some of the run club girls with us before they piked and got a lift.

I then scored a lift to a cafe in Leichhardt with Wild Thing. A good breakfast with better company and then Wild thing dropped me back to my car. It was only after she drove off that I realised I had left my car key in the back of her car. Again, luckily I had my flat key on me, so I caught a cab back to Homebush Bay to get my spare keys (using the most creative route the cab driver could muster). I managed to track down a phone number for Wild Thing, who dropped my key back to the car. I also got a call from my brother in Columbia while I was home, which was a really pleasant lift.

Unwilling to subject myself to devious cab drivers a second time I jumped on my bike and navigated my way back to the bay trying to use bike friendly streets. A few checks of the street directory, and after a hilly 13.3K ride I finally was reunited with my vehicle and all of my keys.

I don't like keys.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cirque said...

Oh Ben, you poor thing. You sound remarkably calm! Hope your weekend improves.

8:30 pm  
Blogger Katie said...

You should go out and buy a lotto ticket.... surely that is all of your bad luck!!!
Good run in the 5km!

9:29 am  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Wildthing and I dilemmed over what to do. Glad it finally worked out and was nice to catch up at breakfast.

TA

8:47 pm  
Blogger Gronk said...

OMG, what a day Ben !

8:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home