Monday, December 26, 2005

Christmas day with the R family

Xmas AM: Run, 3K of nasty hill in 20:48

Indulge me. I'm going to describe the whole day. The running bits will be in red.

My parents have a beautiful house at Copacabana. It's their home - the flat I am living in is a place to stay during the week. It's right up the top, near a lookout, looking down on the beach. This is where we spend Christmas.

Being an early riser I was first up, starting the day with a flat white. I tooled around on Coolrunning while the others got themselves up.

This is our first Christmas with "the next generation": my niece Billie (last year, as a newborn, she spent the day with her Dad's family). She, quite rightly, was the focus of attention for the entire day. For the last few years we have opened our presents after breakfast. Not today - we wanted to see Billie open presents.

I am a practical man. You can't move up here for all the Fisher-Price my Mum has bought Billie since her birth. I bought and wrapped a bunch of bananas, her favourite food. My $1.89 was the wisest investment of the day - Billies eyes lit up and they were into her gob even before the clear plastic wrapping and skins were off.

That's not to say I'm a stingy bastard. I'm really proud of what I did for my Mum - I got twelve carefully chosen pictures of my immediate family and constructed a calendar- double sided, A4, colour, glossy and ring bound. I put in all public holiday, birthdays and anniversaries. She was blown away by it.

I scored well - a new Coolrunning tri top, a new South Sydney white training t-shirt (I really need this - my old one has the ghost of a thousand runs in it - Nilodor can't save it anymore) and some excellent books. I gave hints about a watch to time myself whilst swimming - I scored a coaches lap timing stopwatch - back to Rebel tomorrow.

After the presents my sister started teasing her dog by excitedly saying "Walk, Ollie!" when no-one was intending to walk the poor bugger. What else could I do? So on with the new tri top and out the door with Ollie in toe.

Now, I did nasty hillwork on Christmas eve, but there is nowhere to go around here but down, so I just ran slowly down the hill, to the beach (about 1.5K), and turned around and ran back up. Later the Garmin data revealed that it is about a 95m drop over the 1.5K to the beach, so it really is a nasty little run. Ollie had a ball, but my cardio and legs were having a tough time with the 95m back up.

My legs were quite sore for the rest of the day. Ollie also didn't seem much lively for the next hour or so.

So after I got back it was the traditional R family brunch: a two course gorging of monumental proportions. Always delicious, always happy. It's something we look forward to all year. Then we all nap, read, float in the pool or vegetate until the second gorging - Christmas dinner. Despite the fact that I'd drunk enough coffee to float a battleship, I flaked on the couch for an hour.

Dinner was another feast, before we retired to watch a video - "The Dinner Game" it's a French film and it's wonderful - we only pick the best for Christmas.

I hope yours was as good as mine.

Oh, and by the way - today is a rest day. My legs are still calling me rude names.

7 Comments:

Blogger Cirque said...

Sounds like a lovely day! I'm glad you had such a great time with your family.

9:01 am  
Blogger Carolyne said...

Love your work Ben!
It was great to hear about your Christmas Day . . . I hope that the rest of the season is as good for you.

7:47 pm  
Blogger 2P said...

Hey Benny glad you had a great Chrissy Day - it was great to catch up with you again out at Quarry Road.

You know you loved it ;-)

8:47 pm  
Blogger CJ said...

Sounds like a good time was had by all, though I don't know about that run!!! We spent a similar day - ate too much and watched DVDs in the afternoon, and snuck in a nana nap or two!!!

9:58 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad you didn't say Christmas dday with the Rs ;)


Still love Copacabana - went to primary school there and it was the first place I lived on the Coast. Used to live right up near the lookout, great view there.

As for hill sessions, I used to walk up that cliff everyday, it really gets you in summer in a school uniform!

10:17 pm  
Blogger Horrie said...

Great to hear you had a nice Christmas Ben. It was good running with you at Quarry Rd on Saturday. Look forward to catching up with you in the new year.

8:05 pm  
Blogger Katie said...

Great present idea!!! When the eyes light up you have hit the nail on the head! Sounds like a great day.... santa was kind :-)
Have a really happy and safe new year and heres to a 2006 full of happy and safe running!!!

8:06 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home