Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Catch up - training through the heat

Weight: 78.2Kg
Sleep: generally good

Sat AM: Bike, 50K of hard slog in 2:07.

I rocked up with the intention of riding with the Hawkesbury tri club's beginner group, but nobody else did so I was with the main group. They decided to ride the punt loop. This took us out from Windsor to the Sackville ferry, across to Cattai and back into Windsor. It has a nasty hill after the ferry and a really nice 7K downhill in amongst some other hills. I struggled for most of the ride, but the Garmin did measure one of the 5K splits at 7:56 - easily the quickest I have ever done. It was a bit hot, but I didn't feel it was awful.

Sun AM: 11K Run in 1:05. Hot and ugly.

I got out at 6:30 in an effort to beat the heat. It was still 31.5° by the time I finished. And it was tough. The previous two days activities had me really struggling by the end of the run. It was a quick loop through Windsor before doing the tri-club 10K race loop through the fragrant turf farms and by the RAAF base.

Mon PM: Run 5.8K in 30:25.
Now this was just stupid. I did a heap of gardening over the weekend as well as the running and cycling, and on Monday afternoon I had the bright idea of going out for a hilly 6K at 5:12 pace with Virgil (the Garmin Virtual Partner).

I ended up getting Garmin grief. The Garmin said I did the first K in 5:30. I knew this was bollocks because it felt abou 5:10 pace and I wasn't that tired, so I just run the rest of it at what felt like 5:12 pace. It was a bloody hard run, and I felt like I was hyperventilating at the end. Sportstracks assesses it as 5:14 pace, and I'll take that as near enough under the circumstances.

Tues PM: Swim 20 * 100m at 2:30.

I rocked up for swim squad to be told it's not on this week. I just made it to Homebush in time to push out the same swim as last week. I felt fatigued, but I managed to do it without too much hassle.

I'm back at Homebush now, where I have internet connectivity - but no dogs. :(

At the moment I'm leaning towards an attempt at 1:50 at a half marathon near Bendigo on March 19. I'll keep you posted.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shane said...

Hi ben, just thought I pop in. Just noticed that I have joined Team C in the Community Bloggers on the CR website. I am quickly going through the team having a read. I noticed you live in windsor, I lived in Penrith for the first 18 years of my life.

I used to run and ride with the Penrith Tri club years ago when it was at the boat ramp near Panthers leagues. I also used to do alot of rides form penrith up the road to Hawksbury lookout through wimallee/springwood and back home. Ahh,The memory's, The nepean regionis a great area for training. Anyway i'd better get going, I will be sure to pop in again. Happy Training

3:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home