Friday, January 06, 2006

Speedwork is your friend

Weight: 78Kg
Sleep: Good

Wed PM: Run, 7.6K in 40:42 (5:21 pace)
Fri PM: Run, 6 * 1K efforts with 2 minute walk intervals.

Wednesday was a typical example of what happens when you are making your program up as you go along. Initially I thought 2K warm up, 4K at HM pace, cool down. But I went out too hard for that, missed the first K split and picked up 5:12 for the second split. I felt like rubbish, so I changed my mind and just hung on for a quickish 7.6K. I sped up over the last mile to do that at 5:10 pace. This would have been comforting had I not felt like I was doing 5K pace. Still, it’s no surprise, I’d been flogging it a bit over the last few days.

My original intention on Friday morning was to get up early and do my intervals, but the herbal insomnia tablets I’ve been taking have been making me more and more lethargic in the morning, this morning I had no intention of getting out of bed at 5:30.

This worked out well as I needed to blow the cobwebs out after a full on week at work. So I went out along the Parramatta River, and I’ll tell you now: there ain’t no cobwebs left now. After a short warm up the spilts went:
4:42
4:38
4:43
4:38
4:39
4:51

There was not much left in the tank at the end, and I reckon the last split reflects that. I stumbled home for a quick dip in the pool and a bit of couch occupation.

I’m going to start on a program that I’m setting up at the moment next week. The program will be in preparation for the Eaglehawk Half marathon in Victoria on March 19. It would’ve been the Weston Creek Half but for a recent offer to do the Walk for Want on that day (March 12) with a friend, so off to Victoria it is. I’ll probably take a couple of days off and drive down.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Go Bennyr go !

I hope the craziness of the Christmas/New Year period has settled down for you. Hopefully I can catch up with you somewhere soon

J

1:56 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'm thinking of Weston Creek too, Ben; good luck with training for Eaglehawk.

8:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home