Sunday, January 08, 2006

Wiped Out

Sat AM: Bike, 40K in 1:38

The aim on Saturday morning was just to get out and roll around for 40K, not mess myself up too much and get an endorphin hit. I've settled on a 10K loop for my rides which is mostly flat with some minor hills. It's mostly wide bike paths, which allows me to get some speed up without facing traffic. I can't remember if I've mentioned this before, but I am virtally blind in my right eye, which can make checking for traffic over my right shoulder a right pain in the arse.

So I did four lots of this loop averaging 24.7kph. Do be honest it was probably a bit quick, as I didn't pull up as fresh as I wanted to.

One pleasant surprise during the ride was to get "spotted" in my new Coolrunning tri-top. I was approaching a pair of walkers, and yelled "passing right", to which one replied "hello, Benny!"

It was Bernie G, out for a walk with her mum. We exchanged greetings and I continued on my way.

Sun AM: Run, 14K in 1:22:20

I think I can safely class this one as a Tradesman's run. At no point during the run or before it did I really want to do it. I felt lethargic when I got up, my legs were heavy and my lungs felt like I was running at 5:10 pace rather than 5:50.

The run was two times around my bush-Telstra stadium-Bicentennial Park-swamp loop with a loop around the Village Green to round it to 14K. I got home, cooled down in the pool and felt like crap for the next three hours.

Anyway, on to nicer thoughts. I thought it might be an idea to publish to the world my program for Eaglehawk, so here's the plan: (arrow down lots, I couldn't get rid of the space)

























































































































Wk EndMonTueWedThuFriSatSun
8/016K PaceSwim8K RunRest6 1K Int40K Ride14K Run
15/017K PaceSwim9K RunRest30K Ride16K Run10K Pace
22/015K RecSwim6K RunRest5K Tempo40K Ride12K Run
29/017K RunSwim9K RunAqthnRest5K TT16K Run
5/028K RunSwim10K RunRest6 1K Int40K Ride18K Run
12/029K RunSwim12K RunRest7 1K Int40K Ride20K Run
19/025K RecovSwim6K RunRest5K Run40K Ride10K Pace
26/029K RunSwim12K RunRest30K Ride5K TT20K Run
5/0310K RunSwim13K RunRest5 2K Int40K Ride22K Run
12/0310K RunSwim13K RunRest8 1K Int40K Ride15K Walk
19/036K PaceSwim7K RunRest5K Tempo3K RunRace



The pace runs are planned for the SMC as HM practises. Apart from that I plan to run a part of the Wednesday runs at HM pace, but not all of them or I'll just end up burning out.

This plan brings me back to the concept of a "rest" week every four weeks. It used to be something that worked really well for me in the past as a way to recharge, but I lost the habit. Hopefully it will keep me firing on all cylinders for the length of the program.

4 Comments:

Blogger CJ said...

The plan looks good Benny. The easy week every 4 weeks is a good idea. The marathon program I'm following has an easy week every 4 weeks and at least 1 rest day each week with the option of taking another one if I'm tired. Crosstraining is also good.

Thanks for the comments on my blog - I decided against running this morning. I was too stiff and sore to even contemplate pulling on runners and heading out the door. The right knee is still a bit swollen.

9:41 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

The program looks great Benny. I think an 'easy' week is a great idea; you can't work at 100% all the time.

What is wrong with your eye? I hope it's much better soon

J

7:49 am  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Ben, doncha hate those 'nothing' runs :-(. Still, that one's history now.

In your next post, could you tell us a little of the thinking behind the plan's taper week (ie the 15k walk and the runs - including tempo - in the last two days)? Thanks

sfG

11:41 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yes, make sure you incorporate suficient rest days, Benny; it seems you've thought of all this judging by the program...good luck with it & forget the "nothing" run!

7:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home