Thursday, June 15, 2006

Going the Distance

Sat: 1250m Swim
Sun: 21.1K @ 6:24
Mon: 6K Recovery Run
Tue: 8.5K Easy @ 6:25
Wed: 12K @ 6:04

I'm happy with how the build up to GC has gone in the last few days.

My second swim back on Saturday was good. I'd left myself a little short
on time, so instead of increasing the distance from last week I went
from 100m efforts to 150m efforts, and I set a 4:30 time on the efforts.
After a 350m warm up I churned through six of the efforts before I
packed it in.

I treated Sunday as a slow dress rehearsal for GC. I went out to the
'Riff Regatta centre, which has a flat 5K course with a couple of bumps,
much like the GC course, and ran until the Garmin said 21.1K. All went
smoothly, and I kept a pretty constant pace throughout, except for about
500m when I got bored and cranked it to 5:30. Again, I pulled up really
well from the run. The combination of the slower pace of the last few
weeks and the 5 hours my legs spend in Skins after each run has me
feeling fresher than I have in ages.

After a couple of easy, uneventful runs on Monday and Tuesday I got out
on Wednesday morning for my midweek long run, which went really well.
The Garmin 301 heartrate function decided to have a flexi, and didn't
register for the whole run, so I just went at a "able to hold a
conversation" pace, which turned out to be just a shade over six minute
pace.

Today is a rest day. I'll do 400s again tomorrow - I think the faster
running should sharpen me up for the Gold Coast.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

The new approach to training certainly sounds like it is agreeing with you Benny. I have no doubt it will pay off at GC. Looking forward to seeing you then.

8:53 pm  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

It all sounds good to me :-)

Gnome

12:21 am  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Not long to go to GC: I'd be starting the red lentil loading now. I'm loading lentils now and I'm not even running GC.

Good luck Ben for GC.

9:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home