Thursday, April 27, 2006

Taking it easy

Fri AM: 4 * 1K Intervals @ avge 4:47
Sat AM: Ride 47k @ 27.4kph
Sun AM: SMC 10K. 58:04.
Mon AM: 5.5K Slow recovery
Tue AM: 10K in 59 minutes
Wed AM: 1150m Swim. Slow.
Thu AM: Run - 10K in 59 minutes. Bewdiful.

After taking advice from the three wise men (2P, Horrie and Gnome) I
have decided to slow my training down and rebuild slowly. I am using
2P's blog to get some hints.

I hadn't made this decision last Friday when I went out and busted my
lungs on four 1K repeats. I actually thought these would be slower than
they were, but the four repeats were well enough.

Saturday's ride was great. I did a figure eight around my new local
environs. I managed to do a figure-eight course that had two traffic
lights and very little interaction with traffic. I'm not a skilled
rider, so course safety is pretty important.

The SMC was disappointing. It's always great to catch up with the gang,
but I ran hard for a very bad time. It was demoralising when I realised
that it was at this race last year I cracked 50 minutes for the first
(and so far only) time. Sunday was over 58 minutes, and although I
didn't go flat out I reckon I could only go a little bit quicker.

Since then I haven't pushed myself in any of the runs. They have all
been just a bit quicker than 6 minute pace, but each has been a bit more
comfortable than the last. This morning I felt great as I pumped out a
real easy 10K in 59 minutes. I feel like my form is coming back, so I'll
just stick with running slowly, cross training once a week and doing one
speedwork session/race a week. I've dragged out my "Pilates for Runners
& Cyclists" DVD and I had a fifteen minute session during the week. I'll
try to build on that but I'm very slack at this.

5 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

LOL Benny - I'm not sure about 3 wise men.... more like wise guys ;-)

Glad to hear you are starting to get your form back Benny.

Whether you do it by HR, Pace or just how you feel - I am forming the view that most people do their "easy" runs and "long" runs too hard. The more I think about it - the more it makes sense to train your body across the full spectrum of energy systems - even thinking about throwing in a walk per week to fill the gap between sedentry and 70% now the lawns don't need mowing so much (I'm an office whallah)

10:07 am  
Blogger Unknown said...

Recently had coffee with the three wise ladies (WildThing, Fightin' Irish and Tiger Angel) and we are of the same opinion as 2P. Here's to running slow!

Come and see us at RunClub sometime!

1:00 pm  
Blogger Don Juan said...

"...as windy as a Don Juan lentil dinner" - I like the poetry there: it just blew me away.

Welcome back from the secret high altitude training in the americas.

Running with a group is a big help for my speed.

10:35 pm  
Blogger Ewen said...

Keep building back up Ben.

Good news about the pilates - very beneficial.

5:28 pm  
Blogger Horrie said...

Not sure about the 3 wise men - maybe the 3 stooges is more apt!

It's good to see you enjoying your running again Ben. Sometimes you just have to slow down and take in the surroundings and remind yourself of the reason you run.

Once you start doing that - the speed seems to take care of itself.

10:02 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home