Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Even Slower

Sat AM: Coolrunning 5K Challenge: 25:40.
Sun AM: 15K @ 6:30
Mon AM: 5.5K @ 6:30
Mon PM: 20m Pilates session
Tue AM: 10K @ 6:05

The 5K Challenge is always a hoot. Not being anywhere near fit I decided
to run 26 minutes, so when a new runner was asking about how the race
was organised and saying she thought she could run 26-27 minutes I said
"Follow Me!". Her name was Deidre, and she now has a 5K PB and I have a
solid 25:40 5K hit out under my belt.

At the post-race breakfast I had forgotten about the size of the Grind
pancakes - I had helped someone finish one in the past. This time it was
me who had ordered one, so my PB for the morning was eating about a
cubic metre of pancake in one sitting.

Highlight of the morning: Welcome back, Jen. It was fantastic to run in
the same race as Jen after so long on the sidelines.

Since then I have been revelling in running slowly. My Sunday long run
was slower than I have run for over a year, and it didn't knock me
around half as much as much as recent long runs. The 301 HRM is too
erratic to take much notice of, but I believe I was running at around
75% MHR, and although I was passed by an old lady on a walking frame at
one point, it was very enjoyable.

The two runs since then have been of a similar vein. If nothing else, I
am enjoying the training a lot more on the new regime. I'll start
building the volume from here at about 10% a week. This week it will be:

1 * 5.5K Recovery run (Done)
2 * 10K mid-long runs (1 Done)
1 10K Race
1 * 16.5K long run
1 Cross training session
1-2 Pilates sessions (1 Done)

7 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

Hey Benny - great to catch up at the 5k challenge.

If it is any consolation I got passed by a turtle with 3 legs on my run yesterday!

I think building your base back up with slower runs is a great move ;-)

4:03 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Off to a good start with your training, Benny! Great 5km time too!

7:25 pm  
Blogger Horrie said...

Looks as though the training is going well Ben. Isn't running much more enjoyable when you don't have to worry about pace? Nice run on Saturday BTW.

7:54 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

Thank you so much Benny. It's nice to be back :-)

Lovely to see you again. I think you base building exercise is a great idea and I have no doubt that it will pay off (with interest) in time.

9:09 pm  
Blogger Ewen said...

Those old ladies are competitive Bs. They pass me doing breaststroke while I'm swimming freestyle.

9:37 pm  
Blogger Katie said...

Oooh I have to try some of those pancakes!!!

12:47 pm  
Blogger R2B said...

just add an extra leg Benny and that will do the trick!
;)

12:12 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home