Monday, May 15, 2006

Back into it

Thu: 6.5K Slow
Fri: 5K Slow
Sat: 36K Ride @ 24.5kph
Sun: 10K Slow

True to my word I have eased slowly back into my program. We were at
Homebush on Thursday morning, so I ran slowly around my favourite 6.5K
loop taking a 100m walk break every 2K. It felt RUSTY.

Friday was a slightly less rusty run around the golf course at
Luddenham, but still not great.

The weekend was a brilliant microcosm of my new lifestyle. On Saturday
morning I got out for a lazy 90 minute ride out to Kemp's Creek and then
back to Penrifff, where I caught the last half of the elder twin's
netball game. The ride was a comfortable one - I didn't push it and I
felt pretty good on the bike. I've slowed my riding a little bit in the
whole "take it a bit easier" push, but I reckon I wasn't going overly
hard in the first place.

From there we spent the middle of the day plotting our escape from the
outer western suburbs before attending my Mum's birthday bash. The twins
seem to enjoy hanging out with my family, and that is making me very
happy. I knew there was never going to be an issue with DJ and my family
because, you see, DJ has a long history with my family. DJ was a
personal assistant to both of my parents for about five years - which
puts a whole different twist on the "parents of the boyfriend" thing. Up
until January my parents were a bit like an uncle & auntie to DJ, so
it's been a different type of awkwardness, as you could probably
imagine. Everyone's pretty much used to it now.

Sunday was pretty cool. After the present opening ceremony the twins and
I teamed up to cook breakfast for the lady of honour, and after cleaning
the substantial mess from said cooking I was able to sneak out for a
lazy 10. I felt a bit heavy, but not too bad. I think had I tried to run
at 6 minute pace or faster the whole thing would've been a disaster, but
at my new standard pace (6:15-6:35) it all went fine.

I pulled up a little sore in the legs. I've been feeling this a fair bit
lately, and after viewing some discussion on Coolrunning today about
Skins, I'm having a lot of thought about it (particularly considering
it's payday today).

This morning was a similar slow cruisy run. I'm getting used to running
slowly.

6 Comments:

Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Having a choice between being a family or training obsessively, I reckon you've picked the right one :-)

Hope your escape plans come to fruition!

Gnome

10:03 pm  
Blogger 2P said...

Get the Skins!

11:09 pm  
Blogger Dave said...

Skins are good :)

10:43 am  
Blogger Cirque said...

This isn't really running-related but I'm glad to hear the family thing is falling into place. When the mind is happy - the body is free to run!

6:01 pm  
Blogger Ewen said...

The 'new standard pace' looks good Ben. Good to read the non-running bits.

I'm almost convinced in need Skins!

4:55 pm  
Blogger Don Juan said...

Everything looks cruisy and hunky-dory in Chunderbolt land. But I'll be the devils advocate.

I reckon you need to soup-up first on some red lentils and then blow around the course on a run. Go for it on the CR 5km challenge. Good luck.

9:55 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home