Thursday, April 20, 2006

Darling, have you seen my fitness?

Mon PM: 9.8K Run @ 5:40 pace
Tue AM: 5.5K Run @ 6:00 pace
Thu AM: 9K Run @ 5:50 pace

One thing that DJ and I have in common is an alarming ability to lose
things and leave things behind when leaving a place. It was sort of
inevitable that when we left Copacabana after a really great couple of
days with the twins and my family (awww) that I would leave something
behind (my phone).

This cost us about 45 minutes, which came off the time available for my
long run before the venue (the regatta at Penrifff) closed. I managed
two laps running a little bit faster than I had hoped to ensure we
didn't get locked in. I followed this run with a nasty little recovery
run the morning after.

This morning I confirmed that my fitness was definitely left in South
America. I had nothing - it was a horrible, painful, breathless 9K. The
course was flat. It was as windy as a Don Juan lentil dinner, but this
is no valid reason for the utter dreadfulness of the run.

So we need a new plan. I have to rebuild. I'll blog the schedule when I
come up with it, but I reckon I'll do five runs a week with the key runs
being a weekend long run, a midweek medium-long run and a speedwork
session (which will be replaced by races half the time). The week will
be completed by a cross training session and either a rest day or a
Pilates/Yoga session. Any advice welcome.

6 Comments:

Blogger Gronk said...

Good to see your back Benny. Congrats on the new phase of your life too. Advice on training ? Not me, I got nothin. :)

Hope to see you out there soon mate.

10:32 am  
Blogger 2P said...

Hey Benny sounds like a good plan - I'm beginning to believe the key is to slow the long run right down....

3:15 pm  
Blogger Lulu said...

Sounds like a good plan to me. I prefer pilates to yoga though. I think it's better for core strength.

I loved South America but didn't find the ice cream shop when I was in Merida, maybe it wasn't there 9 years ago.

4:08 pm  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Advice? Long steady, coupled with some long steady, and a bit of long steady thrown in for good measure (oh, and pilates and cross training, etc, etc).

Seriously, wait till that's really comfortable before going back to speed sessions and stuff like that.

(Actually, I think that that the problem was the Beer and Garlic Ice Cream. That'll knock you around fro months :-)

Gnome

11:05 pm  
Blogger Ewen said...

Try the lost and found section in the Herald.

Welcome back Ben. 52 hours! You have endurance.

6:41 pm  
Blogger Horrie said...

I agree with 2p Ben. Slow the long run right down and go longer. Throw a couple of 25km rides in a week and your fitness will start to come back. And try to be a bit more consistent with your training.

7:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home