Thursday, March 24, 2005

10K PB - This is supposed to be training, you idiot.

I have been asked to MC my sister's wedding on Sunday, about which I am very excited. So this means I want to have a rest day on Sunday. Given that I have just committed to the Coolrunning 5K on Saturday, I decided to do my long run today with a swim in the afternoon and a long ride tomorrow morning.

So I set out this morning with a plan to run at 6 min/k pace and turn around at 27 minutes, coming back for a 9K run. I went out a bit hard, and once I hit a couple of hills my HR was up to the low 160s. I should've slowed down but didn't, and hit the turnaround time further than I expected. I slowed down a bit, and did the loop in 55:20. By the end the HR had crept up to 173. I should've gone slower, but after my last run, slowing down seemed dangerous for the knee, and todays run was relatively free of pain and I didn't want to risk it.

I later measured the course in the car. My conservative estimate of the distance is 10K, it's probably a little more. This makes it a 10K PB by 1:40. While I'm happy that I'm getting quicker, I'm a bit pissed off with myself for pushing too hard. The schedule for the next couple of days is punishing, so I needed to take it a bit easier than that.

I swam a very slow, very fatigued 1500m in the afternoon. 1K straight with a couple of breaks in the last 500m. I was getting out of breath quite badly towards the end. It wasn't a comfortable swim, but at least I did it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home