Tuesday, March 08, 2005

No real answers

I saw the sports physician this morning. We had a thorough examination of the knee, ITB, core strength etc. He was puzzled by the fact that all of the evidence points to a problem with the right knee. There is a pelvic tilt and my left leg is "functionally shorter", but there is no definite "do this and it will get better", but I guess there was little hope of this. He finished up by saying "I hope you've enjoyed this because I find it a fascinating problem." or words to that effect.

The upshot is: He has put me on anti inflammatories (Voltaren to start with, Celebrex knocks me around too much), he has got me to put a 3mm heel raise in my left shoe and he wants me to ice my ITB after excercise and before bed. No physio for 2 weeks, he reckons the releasing of the ITB may be causing further inflammation.

If I'm still having problems after this, it's off to Homebush for a gait analysis.

The knee felt OK during the treadmill hitout I had this afternoon (6K, 10kph Max HR 155), but the real test will be how it holds up to a 3 run week, so I'll have another run on Friday and then on Sunday.

I reckon I got close to 6 hours sleep last night - a step in the right direction. My GP has given me sleeping pills that I have tried a couple of times, but I still wake up at 3AM when I get to sleep. Hopefully things continue to improve from here.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ben...I guess you're sleep patterns are unlikely to be improved with the onset of the NRL season...as I am sure the Bunnies will provide you with plenty of nightmares over the coming months !!

Good luck with the constant battle over the knee. Hopefully you'll be able to keep running through it, keep lowering your times and gradually improving the ITB problem as well. You seem to be doing the right things in terms of injury management.
I will probably be back for the April SMC 10k but am going to skip the March one..

Greeny

9:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home