Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Treadmill Fartlek

This afternoon I jumped on the treadmill with the intention of doing a 35 minute tempo run. I started running at 8kph, slowly ramping up to about 9 before the knee pain started to claim me. I slowed back down to a walk, and to use one of the oft-repeated phrases from Coolrunning, I listened to my body. I just felt that the problem was my running style, just by the way the pain came on, so I decided to increase the speed up to about 10 kph and see how it felt - and it felt OK. So I ramped it up to 12, and it felt even better, from there I just played with the speed and my stride and footstrike, changing things in a subtle manner to see what felt best (using the logic of another Coolrunning favourite phrase "We are all an experiment of one").

So with the mixture of fast and slow, it was 5.2K in 30 minutes. The knee feels a little rotten this evening, but an email from the sports physician has suggested a new treatment - Voltaren Emulgel. Hopefully this will work, because the oral anti inflammatoriesd just mess with me too much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home