Sunday, May 15, 2005

SMC 10K - 3:01 PB!!!

Run: 10K in 49:58.

This morning I did not want to get out of bed after another sleepless night, but at 6 o'clock, a surge of energy got me up and out the door in minimal time (forgetting my CR cap). Got there in plenty of time to have a decent chat to a few Coolrunners. I finally met Plu, who along with Jen_runs had come to cheer.

I got out at a fair pace, and felt reasonable. I got to the 2.5K mark in 12:40. It's a bit uphill for the next 2.5, but I hung on to get to the turnaround at 25:20. I had sub 50 in my mind at this point, so I started to push a little bit more, but I was also tiring. I got back to the 2.5K mark in 37:58, and thought "alright, I reckon I can do this!", and stepped it up a bit.

Plu, Jen and Lorna (The Owl, who had run the 5K) had set themselves up a few hundred metres from the finish, and were cheering up a storm. I stupidly asked Lorna how she went, but they yelled at me to keep going, so I looked down at my watch, up a the finish line and knew I had to cane it.

So I kicked, and ran as fast as my weary legs would carry me, and when I crossed the line I heard "forty nine fifty eight". I walked off to the side, vomited the meagre contents of my stomach and laid down (away from the vomit).

I took a while to recover, and walked back over to the showers, had a quick shower and headed back to cheer on the guys in th 25K race with the cheer squad.

It was a great day to be a Coolrunner. The PB was a great surprise, and it was good to share it with a great group of people. Special thanks to the cheer squad, who cheered everyone home admirably. I've not been able to wipe the smile off my face all day. The PB was soft, I know that, but I really didn't think I'd go sub 50 today.

Now, I must do something about that half marathon PB...

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Benny I'm so glad I was there to see you achieve this fantastic PB! Hope you have sweet dreams of half marathon PB tonight. Good luck with the job and I look forward to screaming "Run Benny!" at you again next weekend!

I was chuffed that you thought to ask me about my run at such a crucial time in yours! Says a lot about your character I think.

8:20 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

Woohoo !! Congratulations Ben on a fantastic run today. I'm glad I was there to see it and to see the massive smile on your face !! Like Lorna, I'm looking forward to cheering you on your way to a new Half PB next weekend :-)

9:45 pm  
Blogger Horrie said...

Way to go Ben. There's no stopping you at the moment. You are certainly on a roll. I can't understand this talk about soft PBs. Especially after the battle you have had with your ITB over the last 8 months. Sub 50 is an awesome achievement. Enjoy the moment champ - you deserve it!

7:41 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home