Wednesday, July 13, 2005

Lactic Acid and Frostbite

Tue PM: Swim Squad, 1.6K of hard slog.
Wed AM: Run, 12K in 1:01. Felt strong, but tired at the end.

Swim squad was bloody hard last night. I had difficulty getting away from the office, so I turned up late, and this is what Gordon had served up:

200m Easy
4 * 50m, pull bouy up, kick back.
4 * 75m 3/4 catch up with 5 stroke breathing.
4 * 50m, 60 seconds each.
200m easy
4 * 75m -25 hard, 25 easy, 25 hard
300m cooldown

50m is 60 seconds is pretty hard for me, so putting 4 of them together pretty much makes a PB for me, and I was stuffed at the end of it. The 75m hard-easy-hard were interesting - you can really feel the lactic acid in your arms on the easy lap.

This morning I decided to take a shorter mid week long run, but go a little harder. It was raining when I left but it soon stopped. I felt pretty good, and considering how fast I was going, the HR was rising very slowly. I ran along the Georges River, and turned around after 32.5 minutes. The middle quarter of the run was really the first time that I have felt a lactic acid buildup in my legs because of how fast I was going without feeling that my lungs were about to explode. The HR was around 150-160 at this point, breathing a little heavy and legs getting sore.

Things went back to normal towards the end of the run when I hit the hills. The HR shot up to 175 and the breathing got very laboured.

The 12K is a guess, and a conservative one. It was a good, hard workout.

I have stopped icing my ITB for the moment. I have been a little overzealous with the icing and have wound up with frostbite down my left leg. It's itchy and it's it's driving me nuts.

1 Comments:

Blogger Martin said...

frostbite!!?!?

11:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home