Saturday, June 18, 2005

Not Quite as Good as Last Week

Ride, 51K in 1:50 avge Speed 27.8kph

Today's tri club ride felt a bit tougher than last week. I was glad of my cool weather purchases when I was the first frost of the year this morning, but by 8:30 it was getting a bit warmer, and it wasn't too cold.

The pack rode conservatively for the first half, and I kept up no worries, but when they stepped on the gas during the Nutt Rd sprint I got dropped like a Bangladeshi slips catch. The last 5K saw me getting dropped again, and so I put in the big ones during the last downhill, and for the first time in months I shifted to the large chainring.

I realised the error of my way when I hit the hill back into Windsor, and the derailleur would not shift back to the small chainring. This left me to get up the bastard thing in a higher gear. It's not a really steep hill, it's just a mongrel on tired legs, and mine were tired.

Tonight is dinner with the in-laws. It's a bit of a worry. My father-in-law, Peter, is a truck driver from Parkes, and is the very mental image that that description creates. When I first met him and Fiona told him I am a vegetarian his response was "Well, what's wrong with 'im?".

Now I am working for a retail chain that sells fashion clothing to 15-25 year old girls/women. I have as much male credibility as Carson Kressley. I get on really well with Pete, but I suspect that he may question which side I am batting for tonight.

Not to worry. I got my first paycheque this week, and I had a sneaky look at some bikes this afternoon.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

That's very funny, Ben! Not the bike bit, but dinner with your father-in-law! Is he still wondering 'what's the matter with 'im'?

10:07 pm  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Hey, a paycheque beats a father-in-law's approval any day ;-) :-)

9:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But you're a sports nut, that's heaps of credibility in my book. And it's a hell of alot better getting a pay cheque than worrying how to pay the bills, thank god that's over!

9:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home