Sunday, August 28, 2005

Glad it's Over

Run: 20K in 1:58:37

I've been stacking my weekends, and this one was no different.

Intervals on Friday, long ride on Saturday, long run on Sunday. Unfortunately it's the only way I can fit in the level of training that I want. On days like today it can make things difficult.

I got out at about 6:40 this morning for two laps around the tri club 10K loop. I just didn't feel right from the start and found it really difficult to find a rhythm. I did the first 5K in about 6:00 pace.

At this point I had to go behind some bushes. After I restarted I found the running a little easier, but I was still not running well, just better. The first trip through the hills in the second half of the loop felt OK, and then it was back into the flats. By this time some of the tri club guys were setting up for a duathlon. I stopped to have a yak but was soon back on my way. The next K was pretty rough, but then I found some rhythm between 13-15K and started to enjoy myself, but when I hit the hills for the second time everything started hurting and the end couldn't come quick enough.

I felt pretty sore for most of the day after the run, but only "hard workout" sore. My ankle feels great. It felt comfortable throughout the run. I iced and applied Voltaren gel after the run and it's felt fine all day.

I've decided to take a long taper into the Blackmore's half. I'm going to go slightly shorter on every session in the coming week, and probably cut back a little more in the following week in an attempt to get myself to the start line in peak condition

4 Comments:

Blogger Cirque said...

Ben - I think you're doing really well to rearrange everything to manage your situation at the moment. Be kind to yourself!!
Maybe we need Zen Jen to give you some Zen Ben tips.

7:33 pm  
Blogger Bennyr said...

Ahh, yes Cirque - Zen Jen is always very kind with her encouragement.

7:54 pm  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Ben - I felt tired reading your blog tonight ;-).I hope you get the pedal fixed up on the OCR soon and get to enjoy it. Maybe Gnome and I can have a ride with you one day. I hope to get back to my biking in a couple of weeks. Look after that ankle and see you at the Half.

TA

10:25 pm  
Blogger Gronk said...

Heya Benny. Good to see your doing well mate. Will see you under the bridge in the 1:50 group !

9:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home