Friday, August 26, 2005

Run: 10 * 400m Efforts with 200m Jog Intervals

After an uneventful rest day I dragged myself out of bed at 4:30 this morning for a speedwork session. My plan was to take the dogs on a 2K warmup up loop, drop them home and do the intervals on the road to Bligh Park and back and then take the dogs on a 2K warm down jog.

The warm up paseed went easily enough. I didn't push myself as I normally do on the effort, remembering that I have been unable to get through some recent interval sessions.

On the fourth effort I couldn't see the ground rounding a corner and my foot came down on a brick that ought not have been there and I rolled my ankle. I kept going to try to run it out, and it seemed to work. I finished off the efforts, took the dogs out again and finished up. It felt as though I'd definitely had a full on run when I finished. Most of my muscles felt sore when I got to work, always a sure indication of a hard session.

My anle seemd to get sorer as the day progressed. I first noticed it was a bit sore at about 11. By late afternoon I started thinking "I can't wait to get home and get some ice and Voltaren on this." That didn't happen in a hurry because when I got home at 7:30 I realised I had left my house keys at work. Fiona was at a work function, so my only option was to go to my in-laws (30 minutes away) and pick up the spare keys. This I did whilst listening to the debacle that is the fourth test.

So I eventually got some treatment on it at 9:00PM. It's a little swollen and a little bruised, and I'm glad I'm not running tomorrow, I'm riding.

Which reminds me, I forgot to tell you something. On Tuesday I bought a bike. The pawn shop up the road had a Giant OCR 3 in near new condition for $525 in the perfect size for me. I snapped it up, and I'll be giving it a workout tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

I'm really sorry to hear about your ankle Ben. I hope you are back to 100% very quickly. I am however very happy to hear about your bike purchase. Woohoo! Enjoy your ride. J

10:20 am  
Blogger CJ said...

Great bike purchase - I have a Ginat and its a great bike. Sorry to hear about the ankle - hope its feeling a bit better and not causing you too much grief.

5:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home