Sunday, August 14, 2005

C2S Race Report - You forget how much of a bastard that hill is.

Race, 14K in 1:16:16 - C2S

Had a decent sleep last night in preparation for the run and caught the bus in from Richmond. I felt dehydrated during the bus ride, but I found a pre race drink station and filled up, forcing a pre race pit stop.

I lined up in the A2 group a fair way back from the front, and the start was as I expected: a little more shuffly than the previous years' A group. I started the Garmin as I crossed the start line. I shuffled past Lucky Legs in the first bit, giving her some encouragement.

I did the first K in 6:40, But after that I was able to open up a bit, but not hit a rhythm (you just don't get that in C2S). I managed to crank it up to about 5:15 pace for the next few K.

And then came the hill. There is a nasty little hill in the first few Ks, but there is no mistaking Heartbreak Hill. It's an unrelenting mongrel, and it got me a beauty. I was struggling to get anywhere near 6 minute pace once I hit it and it took all of the wind out of my sails. My heartrate was flying and I was really starting to get the obscene phone call breathing going.

I did eventually get to the top of it, and started to recover a little bit. The last 4 K seemed to take forever but I did get through them, even putting in a bloody fast (4:43) one for the 13th. I finished it in 76:15 watch time, 6 minutes faster than my watch time for last year. I wanted to go a bit faster, but on the whole I'm happy with that performance.

As usual, I managed to meet up with the usual suspects post race, as well as meeting some of the Canberra contigent for the first time. A highlight was finally meeting Flashduck, who has been a great source of encouragement and inspiration.

I had to go off and find my bus home just as the pub beckoned (dammit!) and I had a long bath to sooth my aching muscles.

My last word goes to those I am in awe of: The Twelve Foot - C2S runners. Tim - I don't know that I conveyed this respect when we spoke as I know I did to Spud. You are utterly mad, but both champions.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done, Ben!!!! I've been checking your blog since about 4pm waiting for your report. I didn't get to run the C2S this year, but did do 18km this afternoon (and made sure I recorded my 14km time on the way, just to make myself feel better). Glad you're pleased with your result because I think it's certainly a result I'd be happy with! Might see you in Bankstown next week.

9:38 pm  
Blogger Gronk said...

Well done Benny. Nice to meet you as well !

10:45 am  
Blogger Horrie said...

Great run Benny. As I said to you after the run yesterday, you are making a habit out of these PBs. Good steady consistent training will see you achieve plenty more. Keep enjoying the journey.

6:02 pm  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Glad to catch up at the end and congrats on your new PB. Keep on enjoying it and I guess we'll see you at the Sydney festival.

TA

9:30 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Ben... Nice effort. On the odd occasion I go to Watsons Bay, my car struggles up that hill so I can empathise with you despite not having run it myself. I'm off to Noosa for the half marthon this week and hamstrings willing I will back up and see you at the Blackmores Half a few weeks after that.

11:27 am  
Blogger CJ said...

It was good to meet you on Sunday -Flashduck introduced me to you. I agree - that HBH is a bugger and I'm sure its got steeper and longer than previous years. Still we both finished and in pretty good times - gotta be happy with that!

4:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home