Sunday, August 21, 2005

Hidden Half - Sort of Race Report

Run, 21.1K in 1:59:07

Alright, it was supposed to be a training run, but with a chip strapped to your ankle and a number on your favourite racing shirt (a South Sydney T-Shirt), I was always going to go a little bit harder than the usual 6 minute Ks I aim for on a training run.

I met up with Rod from the tri club and Gnscon and his lovely wife before the race. I was still feeling a bit sore from Saturday's ride, but I'm kinda getting used to having some residual soreness to deal with on my Sunday long runs, so this wasn't a big worry.

I started off a bit too quick, I looked down at the Garmin after about 500m and saw I was on 4:30 pace. Hmm - blow up at 4K. Methinks slow down. I covered the first K in 5:00, and settled behind three runners that seemed to be going at the right pace for me. I settled into a bit of rhythm, and the next K in 5:29, followed by another one the was too quick (4:59). I decided to let these fast buggers go and try to save myself a bit, and went through the next few in an average of about 5:30. The first drink stop seemed to take an eternity, but after that they seemed plentiful enough.

The course is mostly flat, but it does have a number of nasty litlle hills and one particular big ugly bastard. You have to tackle this one twice during the race. The first time it hurt a bit.

I hit 10K in about 54 minutes, but I was hurting a bit, so I decided at this point that sub 2 hours was the goal. and figured that 5:45s should do it easy enough, so this became the aim.

I stuck to this pretty well. I did blow out to 6:00 for the K that included the big ugly hill, but this was part of the calculations. The second time round it felt like Mt Everest, but I conquered it without walking.

The last few K seemed to take an eternity, but I got through themand finished in 1:59:07. Happy with the run, and sore enough to know that I gave it a bit.

For the Coolrunners: DrJH won the race and Gnscon and Rock Doctor finished first and second respectively in their "young buggers" (18-29) age category.

There was a Coolrunning cheer squad of one: Mrs Gnscon, who looked after my bag and cheered me on at several stages. Thank you very much!

I had a massive endorphin high on the drive home. I reckon if anyone looked they might have got a bit suspicious about the silly grin I had on my face, but that is nothing unusual.

Picked up a good pair of sunnies on special on the way home. It's about time: all this riding, running and driving to the sun.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cirque said...

Glad you had a good run, Ben.
I hope the next week is a happy one for you.

5:49 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

Well done Ben on a great run. All your hard work is about to pay off at Blackmores! See you there. J

9:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home