Wednesday, August 10, 2005

A Rough Start to the Week

Mon AM: Run, 7K in 50 min. Standard Recovery Run.
Tues PM: Swim 2K, No watch, just 2K steady swim. Felt very comfortable.
Wed AM: Run 10K in 53:20. Max HR: 179, Avge 159. Hard Run.

On Monday afternoon the entire office team at work was called into a conference room and told that the retail chain we work for was being closed.

We are part of a large retail group, and we have been guaranteed jobs elsewhere in the group. We're still all a bit gutted. We had a very new team that was starting to gel, and it's been rough on all of us. Everyone got pissed to some extent on Monday night. Fate played a cruel joke on us when our kettle stopped working first thing Tuesday morning forcing us all to go to another office for the copious amounts of coffee needed to resume normal functionality.

So after a rotten Tuesday I knocked off early and went to the pool for a steady 2K swim. I felt great in the water and didn't get tired, which was a pleasant surprise considering I couldn't do this a few months ago and I've only been swimming once a week.

Had a great night after that, sharing half a bottle of port with my sister and brother-in-law - just enough to get us a bit silly. Well, the three of us are usually pretty silly anyway, we just had a bit more fun.

So I felt a bit rough this morning at 5:00 when the alarm went off, but I got out for a solid 10K effort. I should have taken it a bit easier but I couldn't help myself over the last 2K, and I put the pedal down. Felt wasted at the end of it.

I'm getting excited about Sunday. I'm stoked that the CR cheersquad will be in operation. Go you good thing!

4 Comments:

Blogger Cirque said...

Wow Ben....job changes and a loss of kettle functionality within a matter of days. No wonder you're stressed.
I hope it all works out OK. Especially the coffee making.
Good luck on Sunday, virtual cheers will be with you from Brisbane. Keep us posted!

10:45 pm  
Blogger Carolyne said...

After the effort of getting there, I hope that the job front works out.

Your training and ability to keep it up under the circumstances is an inspiration.

I hope that we will be able to meet on Sunday. Best wishes for everything.

7:40 am  
Blogger Dave said...

Hi Ben,

I was thinking about you when I heard that news. I hope it all works out ok, I know which of the 2 divisions I'd like to move to :)

See you Sunday for a post race drink!

11:03 am  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Geez Ben. You know how to cope with a rough time. A 2k swim without getting tired and then cane a 10k. All you need is some bad news on Sunday morning and you'll blitz it! :-)

(no, I really don't hope you get any more bad news...)

sfG

10:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home