Sunday, July 24, 2005

Ben's Cessnock Star

Sun AM: 16K Run in 96 minutes. Felt rough early, great at the end.

I've had a rather excellent weekend. Saturday was a rest day in every sense of the word.

We got up early to drive up to the Hunter for the wine tour. Now, let me say from the start, I'm not a wine drinker. Can't stand reds, tolerate whites. But wine tasting bus tours are about more than that. There were six in our group, but by the third winery avaryone on the bus is a mate, and you even start coming up with some of the wine appreciation bullshitspeak you were ridiculing early in the day. I went a bit mental with the port when it was offered (I do like port), and had quite a merry day. We finished at the cheese shop where I went mental again (love my cheese).

So I was feeling a tiny bit seedy this morning at 6:30 when I got out for my long run. We stayed in Nulkaba, a few kilometres out of Cessnock, and I didn't fancy a run along country roads I didn't know with questionable room for running, so I ran into Cessnock, picked an intersection in the middle, and ran from there to the outskirts of the town and back in different direction (thus running a star shaped course). This run was tough to get into early. This may be partle because of overcomsumption, but was also due to the cold. About half an hour into the run I passed one of those public clocks that also flashes up the temerature, which was 4°C. After a while I came good, and finished feeling great.

I amused myself with the thought of the world's first Labor Prime Minister retiring to Cessnock and opening a motorcycle shop as I passed Chris Watson's Motorcycles, and then I wondered if anyone in Cessnock realised that a guy called Chris Watson used to be the Prime Minister.

I made a galling discovery this afternoon. I opened my group certificate to discover a mix up had been made, and I had been given my bosses group certificate.

Before I noticed the name, I noticed the date of birth. I won't mention the date, but I now know that my boss is two years youger than my wife. To the day. Now, you may not beleive in astrology, but I have an open mind, and let me tell you: this birthdate is not anywhere near a cusp. It's slap bang in the middle of Leo, and to quote my dearly departed great-grandmother when she discovered my then girlfriend was a Leo "I hope you're getting used to being told what to do." I certainly am.

Edit: Oh, and by the way, I didn't look at the numbers. Didn't want to know - it only causes angst.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home