Saturday, July 30, 2005

Aborted Sessions

Fri AM: Run, 6*400m Intervals, 200m rests. 3.4K in 16:20. Aborted after 6 efforts - too buggered.
Sat AM: Bike, 26.44K, Avge Speed 24.9. Ended in a spectacular way.

Two training sessions have ended prematurely for different reasons. Friday was the first time in ages I have tried intervals away from the treadmill. I jogged up to the local oval before dawn with the dogs, and let them go free on the oval (naughty Benny!) while I set the Garmin for 400m intervals with 200m rests. To be honest, I just went too bloody hard, and after four I was struggling. I decided six was the minimum I could do without calling the whole thing a monumental cock up, so I limped through the last two. The splits were:

1:44
1:34
1:38
1:43
1:32
1:35

So in future I will try to do the 400s in about 1:45 and get all 10 in. I guess that despite being warned by the very wise sfGnome, I was running too fast to make the numbers on my Garmin look cool.

This morning's tri club ride was aborted for different reasons.

I didn't ride last weekend, and I was feeling a bit sluggish on the bike from the start. The group was big, and they were having a go today, so I was getting dropped like an English slips catch from the start.

Anyway, 26K in I had been dropped again, and the club president, Iain, had slowed to ride back with me. We got to an intersection and he screamed "CAR" as I was right on it. I hit the brakes without thinking, and the brakes I hit were the front brakes.

This led to the inevitable: me over the handlebars and splat. I landed heavily on my left knee.

Straight afterwards I went into shock, feeling quite light-headed. The knee was bleeding and a lttle banged up and I didn't feel right to ride. Luckily Bernie's wife was following the pack in her car, and we threw the bike in there and she dropped me home.

It's in a bit of pain right now but I don't think there is any structural damage - just a cut and probably a bit of bruising tomorrow. I'm hoping it will be alright for a long run tomorrow but I'll play it by ear - I'll give it a miss if I don't feel up to it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

When you mentioned the word "car" Benny, I think my heart stopped momentarily. Glad to hear that you are (largely) ok. I hope your knees pulls up well tomorrow. J

6:21 pm  
Blogger CJ said...

Sounds like a painful session from go to whoa. Hope you're okay.

1:52 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Benny, what a shame injuring your knee like that...still, better than hitting the car; so dangerous on the roads! Hope you mend quickly but don't continue to run & aggravate your knee if there's pain there. Take care now!

7:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home