Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Lung Busters

Tues PM: Swim Squad. 2K. Felt good, but some bits were tough.
Wed AM: Run, 13.46K in 1:13:12 Tough Going.

The swim last night was great. Gordon introduced me to the concept of lungbusters, which are attempts to swim 25m without breathing.

I sucked at them. I took two breaths on the first one, but then I remembered something I'd heard once relating to diving: to move your diaphragm whilst holding your breath making the oxygen move and exposing it to the surface of the lungs. This worked well, and I only needed one breath late in each subsequent lungbuster.

I also did a 100m time trial: 1:42:83. We can call that a PB.

This morning I found it difficult to get into my run, which was the usual Sydenham to Canterbury run along the river. The first 2K were utter shite, but then I found a bit of rhythm for the middle K's. The last few K were just difficult. The last kilometre has a nasty little hill in it, and I was sucking in the big ones atop it. My heartrate got up to 179 (96% max).

I had my sports massage tonight. One hour of excruciating pummeling of my legs, but my ITBs both feel better for it already. This should see me through to C2S.

I finally looked up my net time from GC. 1:55:30. Gotta be happy with that.

1 Comments:

Blogger CJ said...

I have swum lungbusters and I totally suck at it. So I'll have to remember your hint. Good GC time BTW - you should be pleased with that.

9:41 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home