Sunday, September 11, 2005

Sydney Half Marathon Race Report - Burn Baby Burn

21.1K in 2:06

Let me start this post on a positive note - I had a great day today.

I stayed at Sydenham last night so I could sleep a little later, and caught the train in. I saw an aquaintance (Rosey) on the train, and spent the trip in catching up with him before meeting up with the Coolrunners at the start.

I got chatting to Rooster just as we started to line up, and found myself committing a nasty running faux pas - I started right up the front. The day was to prove this to be very poor self seeding.

I started off OK, getting through the first K in 5:34 and the second in 5:15. I was trying to settle a little under 5:30 pace, and that was how the first eleven K went, but I had a fair idea I wouldn't be able to keep it up. I knew my HR was too high, but unlike Gold Coast, I just kept going in the hope that I'd be able to run through it.

I pissed down rain for a short while, and this set my shoes up for 15K of squelch. Yuck.

I tried to take my mind off the pain by spotting and cheering for Coolrunners, and this worked well on the "out and back" West City Link. At about 15K I was starting to worry I'd missed Luckylegs, Owl and Omni, when I heard a Kiwi accent yelling in the distance. All three of them came into view running together and we exchanged cheers.

By this stage I was hurting a fair bit and slowing considerably. The good thing about this was that I was passed by a host of really supporrtive people: Mr Coolrunning himself, Kevin Tiller gave me a cheer as he passed, Gronk encouraged me, Rosey ran a few K with me and a big highlight was running a few hundred metres with Christine, who I hadn't seen since we ran the entire marathon together the previous year.

The hills at the end were real killers, and about 2K from home I vomited. Soon afterwards I realised that if I didn't start walking I wouls end up on a stretcher, so I pulled the pin and decided to walk the rest of the way. I was misdirected by an official, and started walking with the 3.8K field, but luckily the lone representative of the Coolrunning Cheer Squad - Lulu directed me back onto the right path. Go Girl caught me with 1K to go, and she was also suffering. We walked together for a while, commiserating with each other. She recovered enough to start running again and showed genuine concern for my wellbeing - I must have looked a right mess at this stage. I ran the last 100m, but I could feel my legs cramping over just this small effort. I finished and started the long trek to the recovery area.

I wandered around aimlessly for a while, inhaled a coffee and queued for 20 minutes for my bag. Then I plodded back up to the Cahill Expressway to join Lulu and the growing cheer squad.

I had a great afternoon cheering and chatting with the fine group of people that made up the cheer squad this time. We stuck around until Horrie and Belinda went past, cheering everyone(but especially Coolrunners) before heading on a far too long walk back to the recovery area and then to lunch at the Orient in the Rocks.Had an excellent lunch with the excellent company of the usual suspects and a few people I'd met for the first time today. It was great to be around a bunch of people high on endorphins.

Eventually I headed off, and on the train back to Sydenham I struck up a conversation with a guy who asked how I went. He turned out to be another runner.

On the whole, a great day except for about an hour of feeling, well, pretty average.

11 Comments:

Blogger Gronk said...

Onya Benny for toughing it out. Sorry that the old body went on strike towards the end. Mine let me finish and then sought its revenge. See my blog for more info if you dare.

Coincidently I ran down Maquarie Street to the finish shute with Christine ! Catchya soon ! Gronk :)

1:21 pm  
Blogger Lulu said...

Glad you are feeling better Benny; you certainly looked a bit out of it when I caught you about to do another 5 kms with the 9km runners. Glad to be of service to a fellow CR!

See you around
Lulu

3:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was hoping to catch up with you after the race. It was really great to see you again ... I've spent all year wondering if we'd catch up again.
I feel encouraged with every blog entry you publish, as do so many others.
Thanks for the boost!
(PS I didn't know that was Gronk I met 'til I read these comments, nice to put a face to the name)
(PPS Hoping my next event will be the run leg in the Nepean Triathlon, 20th Nov - friend to do 1km swim, husband rides 30km, I run 10km. I mention it because you always like a new challenge...)

3:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Was hoping to catch up with you after the race. It was really great to see you again ... I've spent all year wondering if we'd meet up again (and at which event).
I feel encouraged by every blog entry you publish, as do so many others. Thanks for the boost!
(PS I didn't know that was Gronk I met 'til I read these comments, nice to put a face to the name)
(PPS Hoping my next event will be the run leg in the Nepean Triathlon, 20th Nov - friend to do 1km swim, husband rides 30km, I run 10km. I mention it because you always like a new challenge...)

3:44 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops! That was only meant to appear once ... sorry!

3:47 pm  
Blogger Horrie said...

Glad to see you back off when you did Ben as it could have turned nasty. Unfortunately I know this from experience. Good to see you recover, cheer us in and go to lunch. Really enjoyed our chat at lunch. Take care mate and see you soon.

5:59 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

Benny, sorry to read that you became so sick during the half marathon, but you finished. That took great courage not to give in & very proud of you I am!

Good to see you before the start & thanks so much for the lovely warm hug...I want at least one of those every time we meet!

8:43 pm  
Blogger CJ said...

Nice to catch up with you afterwards Benny. Sorry the run didn't go so well but you stuck it out.

9:28 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have the best day Benny, but I'm really glad that you recovered well enough to join the cheersquad and for lunch. It was, as always, great to catch up with you. J.

9:38 pm  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Well Ben, We have targets for next year :-). I really enjoyed catching up with you on the Cahill and wasn't it fun being part of the cheer squad. Keep that smile going.

TA

6:26 pm  
Blogger Ewen said...

Ben, I'm glad you didn't let the run spoil what, I agree, was a great day. A good decision to walk when you're feeling that bad.

4:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home