Thursday, September 01, 2005

The week so far...

Tue AM: Swim Squad, 1.65K, Pretty hard.
Wed AM: Run, 10K in 54 minutes. Felt hard core.

It turned out to be a pretty full on week work wise. When it gets like this I tend to get even more anal about fitting all of my training in. My motivation to get out of bed might flag a little, but I know if I don't get my training in I'll be frothing at the mouth in a couple of days.

Tuesday night was a bit hard. The squad wasn't a difficult one, but in my overtrained state I just wasn't up for it. Likewise the 10K run on Wednesday morning - I felt OK in the legs, but the cardio system was struggling. It was a bummer I'd forgotten to put on the HRM, it would've made interesting reading.

Friday had me working in Vaucluse (more about that later), so I stayed at my "other" sister's place in Bondi (as opposed to the sister in Sydenham, who's place I stay at weekly). This gave me the opportunity to do my Friday speedwork along the coast. I decided to do an 8K tempo run. 2K warmup, 4K hard, 2K warm down. If you look at the K splits it looks nothing like that. I did the first 2K running to Bondi Beach, and then the next 2K were between Bondi and Tamarama, so it was less speedwork and more hillwork. It wasn't quick or pretty, but it was a great workout and it didn't seriously mess with me. And I passed within a foot of James Packer (you don't get that in South Windsor).

So the speed profile looks flat, but the effort wasn't. Here's the proof:





Today (Saturday) the taper got serious. I rode tri-club with the beginners group. We did 35K at the sedate speed of 22.8kph. It felt comfortable and very civilised. I'm really glad I took this option, because when the main group got to the coffee shop far better riders than I were looking seriously stuffed - they must have flew today.

There was one major disappointment - it is obvious that the bike I have bought is too small for me. This is just painful, but I should be able to sell it for what I bought it for and get one that is the right size.

Tomorrow I'll go for a 14K run. Nice and easy.

Anyway, back to Vaucluse. As some of you know, I now work in ladie's underwear - I basically work the numbers for a lingerie buying team. On Friday our team spent the day at the big boss's house overlooking the best view you could imagine over Sydney Harbour, taking in the Bridge and the Opera House. We were reviewing range, so it was against this backdrop that I spent the day as the only male amongst 15 or so females (except for the first hour when "the Boss" was at home) discussing bras, G-Strings and all manner of female undergarments with the garments strewn all over the place. It was just about the most surreal day of my working life - while I know I am the right person for my job, it's odd for a bloke from South Windsor to be suddenly thrust into this situation.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Mr Jen thinks you have the best job in the world!!

I'm looking forward to seeing you next Sunday - all of your hard work since GC is going to pay off!

J

9:34 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

PS Thinks for your tips for treating my ITB. I'll try it tonight. J

9:37 pm  
Blogger Jen said...

PS Thinks for your tips for treating my ITB. I'll try it tonight. J

9:37 pm  
Blogger CJ said...

I'm sure there are a lot of very envious guys around who do think you have the best job in the world! Take it easy with the training - you're supposed to be tapering! By the way, bugger about the bike - hope it works out.

5:03 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home