Monday, October 10, 2005

Settling In

Sat AM: Ride, 33K in 1:27:20
Sun AM: Run, 18.6K in 1:48:13
Mon AM: Run, 6.4K in 37:40

I took Friday and Suturday off work to move the bulk of my stuff into Homebush Bay. This meant that I had a 35 minute drive to the tri-club ride on Suturday instead of a 3 minute ride.

With the wind and rain on Saturday morning it was a very small turnout for the tri-club ride. Only six of us turned up – two of which were Miss Skarmel and her sister Rita, who were there for the first time.

We decided to make our small group a beginners ride, just going for a 33K 22.6kph ride around Windsor and Richmond. I did an effort towards the end of about 3K where I got up over 30kph, but mostly it was an easy ride. This was more where I a social event than a workout – had an enjoyable chat with Miss Skarmel and an epic breakfast at the café afterwards.

Sunday I decided to use my long run as an opportunity to explore my new surrounds in Homebush Bay. I started by running to the ferry wharf, and then following the Louise Sauvage pathway down to Auburn. I turned left at Parramatta Rd and followed it for about 1.2K, and then back into the Olympic precinct, running across it a couple of times before running to Rhodes and back.

Most of the 18.6K was comfortable, but I upped the pace in the last 3K and that really knocked the wind out of my sails. By the time I finished I was quite stuffed, and felt lousy for a few hours afterwards.

I spent the rest of the weekend settling into the flat, deciding what to keep here and what to put into storage. This work slowed to a crawl due to the third Australia vs The World XI cricket match.

This morning I got out for a gentle 6.4K at six minute pace which felt very comfortable.

I'd like to thank all of those who have left messages of support. I continue to feel pretty positive about my new single status. It felt a little weird spending the weekend basically on my own, but it was very relaxed, and to quote Ben Lee - "That's the way I like it."

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

Hey Ben,

I've been away and have not had a chance to read blogs much. Some big changes for you so the positive frame of mind is good.

Homebush will be a great base camp for running and cycling (there are a few cycling groups that do organised rides at night around there).

Of course with that reduced drive time for work that means more training time right?

10:51 am  
Blogger Gronk said...

One door closes and another door opens, Benny. Your doing the right thing by staying positive and focused. Best regards, Gronk. :)

5:20 pm  
Blogger Tesso said...

Gee, it must be great to train in the Olympic precinct Ben.

And cycling 22.6k on the flat seems fast to me. I once (and only once) got to 24k going down a hill - scared the living daylights out of me!

10:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home