Sunday, September 25, 2005

More Crashing, More Burning

Sat AM: 5K Coolrunning Challenge 25:50 of misery
Sun PM: 27K on the dodgy old mountain bike

Had a bunch of fun at the HUGE Coolrunning drinks on Friday night, but by 11 o'clock the week of early starts caught up with me, and I slinked off to crash at my sister's place. Insomnia got the best of me, and I was feely particularly seedy when I rose for the challenge.

It was a small, subdued turnout. Most of us were backing up from being out the night before. Uncle Dave, in a Herculean performance, had come straight from the pub. I set a 23 minute target, and set off stupidly fast, covering the first K in 4:15. At this stage I suspected that this was going to end in tears.

I settled for a sensible 4:31 for the second K, but even this couldn't help me much - I was feeling utterly rooted. I took my first walk break at this point and lost all hope. I ambled in for the rest of the way taking another couple of walk breaks, finishing in 25:50. A short chat with the other runners before walking back, firstly with Johnny Dark and then with EliseS.

Spent the rest of the day watching the Grand Final with my sister and brother-in-law.

My brother-in-law in Danish, and had never seen AFL before this year, but he has jumped on the Swans bandwagon in a big way this year. He has picked up the rules in an amazingly short time, and was cursing umpires with the best of them at the pub we watched it at. It was a great time.

Sunday I had a bunch of things that needed doing around the house, but at about 4PM I managed to sneak out for just over an hour for a short ride. I've yet to get a longer seat post, so the ride had to be done on the dodgy old mountain bike. The Garmin had no juice. I did the ride without a watch and the bike computer had run out of batteries too, so it's an approximate 27K in an approximate 1:15

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home