Sunday, October 16, 2005

Trial run for Central Coast

Run, 20K in 1:56:42

I decided to do a trial run of the Central Coast half course today. It was pretty much the first half of yesterday's ride, so I had a fair idea of what to expect.

I parked out the front of the Entrance Surf Club and just followed the shared pathway down until the Garmin said 10K and turned around and ran back. Once again, I set off too damn fast, covering the first 5K at 5:35 pace. At this point I told myself to stop being stupid, and I slowed to about 5:55, which I maintained for the rest of the run. I felt pretty fresh throughout, and pulled up very well.

After reading about the recuperative effects of cold water immersion after a run, I went straight down to the surf after the run and stood waist deep in the cold water for about 10 minutes. I think it worked well.

So for Jen and the others attempting the course for the first time, here are my thoughts:

It's flat. Real flat. A couple of small undulations, but nothing to worry about. The course is tree lined, but it doesn't give much protection from the wind, which was pretty fierce at times on the way back. The shade will be welcome if it's hot on the day - it wasn't today.

Lot's of people don't like running on concrete. I don't mind it, so it didn't bother me. There is lots of it.

I would be a bit worried about a big field on this course. It's bloody narrow, and I'd be worried about congestion over the first few K's.

Final word: Bring it on. If I can run 1:50 for the half this is the place I'll do it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Thankyou Benny for thinking of me and for your comments on the course. I really appreciate it!!

J.

3:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog Benny. Next year I hope to build back up to 1/2 marathon distance so maybe I will join you at the CC half in 2006.

9:29 pm  
Blogger miners said...

Thanks for the info Benny - and glad to see that you're still training well and looking forward to the Half.

At this stage, it looks like the minertrain is still on track. Mind you, with all that concrete around, is there anything stopping you from running on the grass beside the pathway at all? I'm not a huge fan of the hard stuff myself (blouse that I am)

2:43 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home