Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Plodding through the rest week

Mon PM, Run 5.25K @ 6:10 pace
Tue PM, Swim 1500m, 15 * 100m @ 2:20
Wed AM, Run 6.5K in about 34 minutes
Sleep: Very Ordinary
Weight: 77.6Kg

Monday & Tuesday were mammoth days at work. Monday was a preparation day, and I didn't get out of work until 8:30, but I decided I just had enough time to sneak in the schduled recovery run. I did a few very slow and soggy (it was pissing down) loops of a sparsely trafficked, well lit but boring area near the flat. I felt sluggish and and tired, but that was to be expected.

Although this run blew the cobwebs out, I reckon it was a bit close to bedtime, and it was a factor in the insomnia I suffered that night.

Tuesday was another full-on day at work, but by 5:45 the big meeting I was preparing for was over and there was no way in hell I was hanging around in the Milperra/Revesby area until 7:00PM for swim squad.

I decided on a shorter, sharper solo swim. My last few solo efforts have been 20 * 100 @ 2:30. This time I did 15 * 100 @ 2:20. I really noticed the 10 seconds. I can pump 2:30s out until the cows come home, but by the end of this session I was really starting to breath heavy. I even went back to 2-stroke breathing at times (I usually do 3 stroke breathing by default).

My new watch has a timer feature - so I plugged 2:20 into it, and it beeped at me when I needed to start each lap. The great thing about this is that I looked at the clock next to the pool as I started - it said 6:10. I then knew that as long as I kept up my pace the session finished when the clock read 6:45 - no counting! How good is that?

This morning I was out early to get my midweek run done. It was always going to be a bit of a struggle given the previous night's exertion, even more so given another poor night's sleep. And thus it proved so.

I did it on my favourite hilly 6 and a bit loop around Homebush Bay. The first couple of K's at 5:45 were laboured. The plan was to crank it up for 2K at this point for 2K at 5:12 (HM pace). I did these at 5:06 and 5:00, so I still have trouble really getting the pace right.

I slipped back to 5:30's for the last bit, and felt right stuffed by the end.

2 Comments:

Blogger 2P said...

Got to love it when the technology works for you - sounds like a nice hilly gallop around Homebush Bay - well done mate ;-)

12:58 pm  
Blogger Katie said...

I hope your feeling better benny! Nothing like a hectic work week to poop you out!

9:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home