Sunday, January 15, 2006

SMC 10K - Getting There

Sat AM: Ride, 32.55K in 1:24
Sun AM: SMC 10K, 51:25

I pretty much decided to have a proper crack at the SMC 10K on Saturday morning, so a soft ride was the order of the day. I just went out on the 10K loop and rode three slow laps of it.

Had a small breakfast before heading off to Smithfield where I had the now customary catch up with Go Girl and Horrie.

The race started well enough. I was on PB pace, but after 3K my cardio was feeling it. I rounded the 5K turnaround right on pace, but I was in trouble. Horrie passed me a little before the turnaround and later told me I was running well but not looking good. He was right, I vomited a couple of minutes later. I held a decent pace for the next 2K, but I vomited two more times and it was a case of strike three and you're out. I took a short walk break and jogged it in for 51:25.

A couple of positives: Despite the poor execution it was still my second fastest 10K ever (more a reflection of how badly I've stuffed my last few attempts), and the "jog" in was at 5:30 pace, but it felt quite slow.

Another top morning at the SMC. Several huge PBs and a lot of jovial endorphin fuelled chatter afterwards and home for a lazy day.

5 Comments:

Blogger Tesso said...

How cool, vomiting in a race ;-)

Congrats on your second fastest 10k. What a great time considering. That has to give you loads of confidence for the next one.

7:19 pm  
Blogger 2P said...

Vomiting - I've heard the SMC events could use more colour :-)

Fantastic run Ben - gotta be happy with low 50's - well done mate ;-)

9:14 pm  
Blogger Gronk said...

Well done mate. You did your 2nd fastest 10Km on the back of a long run instead of a taper ! Huge effort mate.

Yes KK donuts = evil. ;)

9:38 pm  
Blogger Katie said...

My Hubbie is always impressed when someone throws up in a race...so three times your his hero ;-) I hope you feel better!!! 3 mins of last month is a great effort!

7:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Benny

Just to clarify (just a little butter joke).

The last time I looked 1 tub of marg = 500g. This week I lost 0.6kg which is roughly one tub. In total I have lost almost 3 tubs which you correctly stated.

wt
For whom maths is not a strong point.

10:10 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home