Monday, February 06, 2006

Weekend Wrap

Fri PM: 21.7K ride @ 25.3kph
Sat AM: Sydney Stiders 10K - Lane Cove 53:something. Solid workout.
Sun PM: 18K long run @ 5:45 pace. Felt awesome.
Mon AM: 9K Recovery run. Surprisingly fresh.
Sleep: Fair.
Weight: 75kg this morning. Dehydrated reading methinks.

After the rest day on Thursday and an alarm malfunction (OK, alarm setting malfunction) on Friday morning I just had time on Friday night for two 10K laps of my Homebush loop on the bike on Friday night. T'was a standard ride - pushing slightly, but not too draining.

On Saturday I went to my first Striders 10K race. I had heard much about the Lane Cove course, and being only 20 minutes away I couldn't resist manipulating my program around it. A huge turnout with a bunch of Coolrunners. It was great to catch up with the recuperating Tiger Angel and then warm up with her husband.

The theory was go out a bit faster than training pace and throw in a few Ks at HM pace where appropriate. I started with Horrie's 55 minute group, but I felt like I was bludging after a few K and pushed it a bit. A couple of those hills took the wind out of my sails, but I ran it reasonably comfortably in 53 minutes and something (can't remember). All in all a solid workout.

It was more conveient to do my long run on Sunday evening, which gave me a little more time to recover. I was pleasantly surprised by how fresh I was. I didn't get much sleep on Saturday night so I was expecting it to be tough but I pumped out 18K through Bicentennial Park, Rhodes, Meadowbank, Silverwater and back to Homebush Bay with relative ease. I finished at 8:45, had a stretch and a quick cold bath and went to bed.

I got a fair bit of sleep in amongst the insomnia induced washing and reading of David Day's biography of Ben Chifley, and at 5:00AM I decided to go for a recovery run. This time I was amazed that I felt good. Despite the previous night's run I pumped out a slow 9K with little discomfort. The legs were complaining a bit by the end, but it was a great recovery run.

This week will be hectic. Sessions will be squeezed in when I can manage it, blogging might be succinct.

5 Comments:

Blogger Gronk said...

Good to see you on Saturday Benny. Even if it was only for that split second ! Hope to see you next month at Olympic Park and have a catch up chat - after all its a local race for you. :)

1:11 pm  
Blogger 2P said...

Hey Benny great form - good to see you hitting a purple patch - well done mate ;-)

1:48 pm  
Blogger Katie said...

Hey Benny! It was great to see you again :-) don't forget we are boarding the 23min train at the end of the month :-)

Keep up all your hard work!

8:36 pm  
Blogger TA and the Gnome said...

Hmmm... Does 18k, then 8 hours later does another 9. Sounds serious :-)

Great to see you Saturday, but be warned. Striders' runs are addictive. (pssst. Hey mister. Wanna try a little Homebush...)

sfG

10:10 pm  
Blogger miners said...

Great to see the recovery session flowed so easily for you mate - after a great race the day before. Hope the rest of the week is still feeling good for you

10:55 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home